BEAVER: Need Help! Just will not start

/ BEAVER: Need Help! Just will not start #1  

drshatzer

Tractor
Montana 5740 4x4/loader/Cab, Satoh Beaver s370 2cyl diesel
I just installed a new head gasket. I'm getting good Fuel and oil pressure(at least its coming up as we try to start). I'm also getting smoke, White. The Fuel lever has been in every position. I usually try to start in full throttle position. I just can not get it to start. I have current to the glow plugs (but Have new plugs on the way just in case). As for the battery I have a 650 CC exide, brand new and I'm keeping a charger on it........

It turns and turns over just will not smoke. What am I missing? Its got to be something so simple that I just can't get it....
Please help.
The machine is a s370 Beaver 2wd model

/ BEAVER: Need Help! Just will not start #2  
I just installed a new head gasket. I'm getting good Fuel and oil pressure(at least its coming up as we try to start). I'm also getting smoke, White. The Fuel lever has been in every position. I usually try to start in full throttle position. I just can not get it to start. I have current to the glow plugs (but Have new plugs on the way just in case). As for the battery I have a 650 CC exide, brand new and I'm keeping a charger on it........

It turns and turns over just will not smoke. What am I missing? Its got to be something so simple that I just can't get it....
Please help.
The machine is a s370 Beaver 2wd model

By mentioning the glow plug, I am assuming it is a Diesel engine tractor. If so--did you run it out of fuel and than add fuel without bleeding the injectors. They will get air in them and prevent starting.
Check the fuel filter also.----My glow plug I hold it for about 20-30 seconds and than move to full throttle. When turning over I may get some white smoke but once it starts than its black smoke.
If it is an injector problem or was empty or real low on fuel, check the manual on how to bleed them. Never allow a Diesel tractor to run out of fuel--I learned that on the forklifts.--It is easy to bleed them now-- the old days was a different story.:)

/ BEAVER: Need Help! Just will not start
I have fuel and fuel pressure. The injectors seem good. (If you cover the end of the line after bleeding, it will blow your finger almost completely off if it, so good pressure).
I'm using the glow plugs but I ordered new ones just to be sure.
Now an odd question but I would assume that full throttle is all the way back on a beaver (with the horizontal stick) unlike the Bucks which was all the way forward with the vertical stick.

I now seem to have great compression. I tried to drag it in high gear but it just will slide the tires.

/ BEAVER: Need Help! Just will not start #4  
I have fuel and fuel pressure. The injectors seem good. (If you cover the end of the line after bleeding, it will blow your finger almost completely off if it, so good pressure).
I'm using the glow plugs but I ordered new ones just to be sure.
Now an odd question but I would assume that full throttle is all the way back on a beaver (with the horizontal stick) unlike the Bucks which was all the way forward with the vertical stick.

I now seem to have great compression. I tried to drag it in high gear but it just will slide the tires.

My Buck throttle is a vertical handle to the right of the steering wheel--Forward reduces power----Pull back increases power.---My Buck has a 3 speed PTO and neutral. My Buck PTO has to be in Neutral in order to dismount why running. I have a low and high range transfer control handle on my tractor on the right side
I have never attempted to pull my tractor, but I would assume the PTO on mine would have to be in neutral to include the high / low transfer case and gear shift.
Does your Beaver have wheel lock pedals--one on each side--help to lock that wheel when turning.
Strain on the above mentioned areas can damage your tractor if you abuse or choose the incorrect method to start it. Personnally I would use the battery--Is your battery good--have you checked it for dead cells.
Do you have a manual---I bought 3 manuals for my Buck and they are not that high priced and they are life savers when you have tractor problems.
Manuals is how I learned the details of my tractor--I took the manual and used it on site to locate things on the tractor---Great help--Parts manual are life savers also if you need parts.--Trouble shooting is in these manuals also.
Be Patient and think---at times just sat down and read about the problem--it is easy to overlook things---I have many times.

/ BEAVER: Need Help! Just will not start #5  
Try using a heat gun or hair dryer into the air intake while you are cranking it over. Not quite as good as the glow plugs but works in a pinch.

/ BEAVER: Need Help! Just will not start #6  
Whatever you do, don't use ether. Sounds like you have it primed but if you need to do it again, there is a beginning and ending sequence. Basically start at the tank and follow the flow of the fuel. There are two bleed screws at the tank, then one where the line goes into the pump. I've never had to take a line off at an injector and don't recommend that. If you do, the fuel pressure at that point is extremely high and could cause injury. You don't want that diesel in your blood stream. I have a Buck that my Dad bought new and it could tell stories. My throttle is wide open all the way back. Use jumper cables if you have to. Have you tested the glow plugs?

I just got new glow plugs and tried that. It helped some (I got better white smoke) but still no start. I just got a new started I will try that and see. I don't think it is turning over fast enough.
Thanks,
Ray

Question:

how would I know if I have a cracked piston with the engine still together. When I had the head off I didn't see any cracks in the top......

I have pressure coming out the top of the valve tube. Is this normal? I held my finger over the tube and then I released. It has some pressure behind it (it hisses). Cracked Piston? Valve problem? or is the pressure normal?

Thanks
Ray

/ BEAVER: Need Help! Just will not start #10  
Have you checked for dirty injectors....you can have plenty of pressure, but if they don't spray it is very tough to start....I had similar issues, with the white smoke etc....the tractor had sat for some time and the cleaner did the trick...worth a try anyway. Good luck.