Bed weight

/ Bed weight #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
I am replacing the pickup bed on my 99 F250SD with a flat/dump bed. Wondering if anyone knows the weight of a normal short pickup bed? Probably looking to replace the rear springs and I'm trying to figure out how much additional weight the new bed will be.

/ Bed weight #2  
It partially depends on what you're making the flatbed out of. Steel and SS will be heavier, aluminium may be the same or lighter. If you do a search for aftermarket parts to replace the bed you may be able to find the actual weight.

/ Bed weight
I am going to weigh the cab/chassis and then weigh the complete unit. Just didn't think about it before I took the pickup bed off.

/ Bed weight #4  
Between 400 lbs and 450 lbs including tailgate.

/ Bed weight #5  
I have done this to several trucks and my experience has been flat bed within reasonable design is lighter than factory bed. Hoist to dump might put it over but only by a little, close enough to wash in my opinion.

/ Bed weight #6  
I find it hard to believe that a decent steel flat-bed would be the same weight or lighter than the p/u bed.

I would guess the same as wolfpack ....400ish lbs.

Also, keep in mind that more and/or heavier springs do nothing to increase the "legal" capacity of the truck, and also do nothing to lower the amount of weight that you are putting on your axle.

/ Bed weight #7  
Un-bolt the bed and try lifting it off, they are not as light as you would guess.

/ Bed weight #8  
Un-bolt the bed and try lifting it off, they are not as light as you would guess.

I have. I pulled a 8' bed off and put a flat bed on. I assure you the flat bed was heavier.