Been "car shopping" lately?

/ Been "car shopping" lately? #1  

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
A couple months back, the wife and I have been thinking about new car/truck. So I started my "research" on the web. Really like using the internet to look at dealer inventory, vehicle specs and even automotive reviews and values, very informative and helpful overall.

Being around 4 years since we made a major vehicle purchase, I had forgotten how much we both hate the vehicle buying process. Since my father dabbled in "high end' cars as a side hobby, I learned a few tricks of the trade, like the 4x4 square they use to try to up sale you and the real money is made in the finance office and never tell them what "payment" you want, final price dictates that. but my disdain really starts at the 1st contact.

Now it starts at the dealers web page! Any page you look at, they have this "chat" box floating around and it gets very annoying. Never really using the internet for more than information before, I thought I would use the "cha tbox" just to get information on a vehicle we may be interested in. 1st time I tried it, they asked for my "name, email and number" in-case we got disconnected, at the time it seemed "normal", but I have been spammed ever since (email and calls), they have never given my requested info, unless I supplied that info.

So I tried just calling the dealerships, same d^& thing, save for one dealership, which I thanked the salesman for later. The rest I finally started telling them, that if they cant give me the info I wanted, I would shop somewhere else. I am not going to be hounded by them fishing for their sales leads.

We where out last Saturday, knew of a car we where interested in, so the wife called and asked only if it was still on the lot, answer, "yes". So we go by and before we even got out, the vulture showed up LOL, He asked me who our salesman was, I said we just stopped by to look at "that car", 1st darn thing out of his mouth then was, can I have you're name and phone number and he pulled out his "pad". I said "no you can not"! he reply's, " well sir, I need it to see who you're salesman is", I just told him " We will go somewhere else, you obviously have a hearing, or comprehension problem" and we left. This was Holt dodge in mid cities area (used cars)

I get so perturbed at the process and refuse to be "bullied" by them, guess I am just a hard head.

When I find a good, proffesional salesman, we usually (in the past) have given them some great business.

/ Been "car shopping" lately? #2  
Dennis I have bought two new trucks one 2012 and the other last year and know what your dealing with. I done the same as you look on the internet at the ones I liked and got a price in my head that I would pay. I already got what could do with my credit union,so that is a great thing to have,so didn't have to put up with there numbers. Anyways not to many dodge dealers had the truck I wonted exactly but what I done is find the truck and give them my number would pay and asked for a yes or no, a few said couldn't do it,so I left my number and said they had couple days to change there mind and left. I went to visit my grandmother and there she set on lot right across from her place,so I turned in got the coolest salesman and gave him my offer,talked to manager and he actually come in the office also,he seen how serious I was about it and wasn't going to budge,gave it to me for that price. While he thought maybe I was BSing him about already having my end set up,the process from the credit union went threw quick and easy,he said that I am one of those folks that they don't like see coming,cause wasn't getting anything over them and had truck priced right on,no extras and take it or leave it. Within a week of leaving the other dealers they wonted to deal now and had to tell them sorry already have a new truck. I would buy another truck at dodge dealer in tyler no problem. You should be able to get some 2013's now with some good discounts and I find it better to shop at closer to end of the month...

/ Been "car shopping" lately? #3  
I would say that I have the best experiences with the older salesmen. They are usually less pressure, having been around the block a few thousand times, understand the customer apprehension and attitudes towards car salesmen and give you room to think and browse.

/ Been "car shopping" lately? #4  
Dennis, over the years, I've found lots of automobile sales tactics that were really offensive, including at some of the largest, most successful dealerships in the area. It does make me wonder how they can be so successful. But it also makes me appreciate Bill Utter Ford in Denton. They are so different it's amazing. And since they've been around for more than 50 years, their ways must work pretty well.

I have a brother who has been one of the most successful salesmen I ever knew; whether cars, pickups, RVs or as a Matco distributor and I think it's because I never knew him to try to sell anything. He made a point of trying to know his products, but never hesitated to say, "I don't know" if that was the case. And he'd visit and shoot the bull with you as long as you wanted without ever asking you to make a decision.

/ Been "car shopping" lately? #5  
car dealers are mostly all the same, they want to sell you a car for the most money they can, that is the business they are in. If you have a trade better sell it to carmax or some other person or company. Get the best deal then walk out, they always find a few more dollars to deduct. Salesmen need to get as much money as possible to keep their jobs, they are not bad people the job makes them appear so.

/ Been "car shopping" lately? #6  
I don't mind a salesman meeting me outside at vehicle,to me that shows they wont my business but I like when they ask me if need any assistance and when I decline,they say I will be just inside if you have any questions or would like to test drive and leave me alone.If they do not meet everyone outside,there could be someone that hasn't done there home work and setting inside is rude not to try and help folks. I cannot stand the running numbers back and forth to manager in office but know they need help,to get the ball rolling,so like the dealer I dealt with the manager after first time come in to set and deal directly with me. I think the salesman has to push the highest number first,thats understandable but when they read the customer,they should be able to tell,need to jump right to it,cut the BS and let the higher up come in and make the deal,before I push this person out the door...

/ Been "car shopping" lately? #7  
Yeah, buying a new car is a PITA because of the sales people. I have some stories that are doozies...

The last car we bought was used and the sales guy was not bad at all but he was Russian with a mechanical engineering degree so he was not the usual sales guy. It was funny because we were buying in the winter and this guy was ALWAYS out walking on the lot in big overcoat. The cold did not bother him even though he has been in the US for many years. :laughing::laughing::laughing: The wifey did the shopping and buying, which is usually asking for trouble since car sales people have a habit of thinking women are stupid. lie and squeeze the woman for money. This guy was ok. No problems at all.

In NC, the dealerships are closed on Sundays so we go shopping on Sunday to avoid the vultures. This allows us to make some decisions by looking at and into the vehicles without have to deal with the sales guy. Only when we know the model, its price, and our trade in value do we go to the dealer and talk to sales. Well, last time we had to do things a bit differently since we were rushed for time so the wifey did have to go to dealerships to test drive a model or two to winnow down what she wanted. Less time with the sales people the better.

Decades ago I was looking at a sofa and chair and went to a store. The moron sales lady all but attacked us with questions and she would not back off. I told her politely that we were just looking and we would talk to her if we needed any help. That female dog would NOT leave us alone. I told her to go away several times, at first being very polite but at the end I used some no uncertain language and we walked out of the store. That stupid female dog lost a sale because she did not give us a few minutes to shop. I told her and the other employees, I assume one was a mangler, that they had just lost a sale due to stupidity and aggression and we would never be in that store again. They were doing this to anyone walking into the store. I can't believe they were making in sales. We went down the street to another store. Shopped a bit, talked to a PROFESSIONAL, and spent quite a bit of money. From a rudeness perspective, this is the worst sales experience I have run into. It was unreal.

I have been shocked at the prices of new cars. For me to buy a replacement truck, it looks like it would cost $55,000 at a minimum! What the heck? I can buy a new Mercedes SUV with a diesel MUCH cheaper than a diesel Jeep Cherokee! It is unreal. My truck just turned 13, has over 180K miles, is the best vehicle I have ever owned and not a danged thing wrong with it. I plan to keep it until it falls apart. I have no idea what vehicle will replace this truck. Most likely a F150 because the diesels are way too much money and the price of diesel has gone up so much. The F150 just barely does what I need done but the F250/350's cost too much money.

Later,
Dan

/ Been "car shopping" lately? #8  
The only thing lower than a car salesman is XXXXXXXXX

Last edited:
   / Been "car shopping" lately? #9  
I guess I should chime in here, as I am a sales manager at a new car dealership. Yes, shopping for cars is not something that most folks look forward to doing. Most are apprehensive, due to past negative experiences. A good professional salesperson, whether it be automobiles, tractors, boats, whatever, must be a good "Consultant". I try to teach my sales people to listen to the customers needs, understand what their budget is, and know their products, so that they can present the customer with a good solution to their requirements. Of course we want to make a sale "today", but what I try to stress, is not pressure anyone to buy something, but rather give them every "opportunity" to make a purchase.
I know there are a lot of car dealers that use the high pressure tactics, and those are the ones that tend to push business my direction.

On the other hand we in the auto sales business, deal with a lot of customers, that have no idea of what pricing is all about. Like the fellow who looks at a $ 40K vehicle, and wants to offer you $25K! Thats when I ask "and how did you arrive at that figure"!
Are we there to make money, Absolutely!, however its better to make a fair profit, and earn a repeat customer, and lots of referrals, than to knock someones head off, and never get any repeat from it!

/ Been "car shopping" lately? #10  
I like to have all my facts/info together so that when I finally do go to the dealership, the sales flunkie just needs to get a key for a test drive and I only need to tolerate him for the minimal time possible. If they don't seem to have what I want or can't respond within a few minutes, I get out of there ASAP. They will dick around and waste your time if you let them.

There are a few exceptions; I've had good experiences buying a couple new cars recently, and it's because the salesman treated us like equals rather than like a wolf looking at red meat. When they are direct with no pressure, it's a nice experience.