Box Scraper Beginners guide to using a box blade

/ Beginners guide to using a box blade #251  
The scarifiers will work. You may have to make a few passes depending on how thick the grass is, but it will get easier each pass. Since there is only a limited number of scarifiers, spaced wider apart, try and line up consecutive passes "in between" the previous pass. There will be a quick learning curve, but you'll get it!
Ya, they will work. You'll have big chunks of sod that won't spread, but it will tear them up so you can move material underneath.

/ Beginners guide to using a box blade #252  
Thanks to this thread, I think I did a pretty good job with my private road :) It's more dirt than gravel and I whish I had a picture of it before. Took out many boulders that was making the road 'bouncy'. Before I use it again, I'm going to go buy a hydraulic top link. I got out of the tractor too many times to adjust the angle of attack. I already have the remote and fittings, just need the cylinder :)

b7RfFdG.png

BTW, my 'remote' is actually a log splitter valve that my dealer installed to control the snow blower chute. I was thinking of adding a four feet pole to the side of the box blade to give me a relative idea of its angle of incline when I'm the cabin. Any other ideas?

/ Beginners guide to using a box blade #253  
Thanks to this thread, I think I did a pretty good job with my private road :) It's more dirt than gravel and I whish I had a picture of it before. Took out many boulders that was making the road 'bouncy'. Before I use it again, I'm going to go buy a hydraulic top link. I got out of the tractor too many times to adjust the angle of attack. I already have the remote and fittings, just need the cylinder :)

b7RfFdG.png

BTW, my 'remote' is actually a log splitter valve that my dealer installed to control the snow blower chute. I was thinking of adding a four feet pole to the side of the box blade to give me a relative idea of its angle of incline when I'm the cabin. Any other ideas?
I see occasional ideas of using one of the big RV U shaped levels. I've thought of it myself a fair bit. But have come to the determination that experience & going slow yield better results. Takes time & failures to get the experience, but it's worth it. I'm a gadget nerd, but find gadgets aren't always that helpful.

Level? In relation to what? Gravity? The tractor? The hill or incline you are on? The incline your front tires but not yet your rear tires or the box? A level only tells you gravity, which while useful is only part of the equation most of the time.

Last edited:
   / Beginners guide to using a box blade #254  
More like with time, I would know that that part of the road needs this incline and that part needs that incline. I guess by just looking at how far the cylinder rod is extended could be a as useful indicator as a pole or U shaped level is...