being banned

/ being banned #11  
Members 304,477 - 1 = 304,476

At this point in time, with that many members, does 1 really make a difference?

First, you have to know how advertising works.
If it's click based, number of members doesn't have anything to do with it.

Pay-per-click - Wikipedia

If it's cost per thousand (CPM), then the number of people it reaches is important.

Cost Per Thousand (CPM) Definition & Example | InvestingAnswers

However, the number of people that VIEW a site probably doesn't have anything to do with the number of members on the site. You have to be able to prove the number of people that LOOK at a site, not how many people BELONG to a site, in order to justify the cost to a potential advertiser.

Does that make sense?

Your 1 membership has NOTHING to do with how many advertising dollars they can charge for posting ads on this site. It's HOW MANY PEOPLE VIEW IT, not HOW MANY PEOPLE BELONG TO IT. ;)

/ being banned #12  
I think it would not be right for a site to use you to make money after you're banned or choose to resign. The sponsors should have the right to know if people are leaving the site. the members should be ale to with draw their support if they so desire.

Is this a first world problem?

/ being banned #13  
I think all the above answers are correct.:D

Bird- Before I left TBN a couple of years ago you as a moderator(?) were "highly illuminated" by a rowdy bunch withwhom I may have been associated. That group was the reason I left TBN as I had a serious falling out with them ultimately due to "way over the top" political BS. I also left that other website they where they migrated permanently.

/ being banned #14  
Yes the site has a right to what I've posted. It doesn't say that the site has a right to count me as a member even tho I'm banned. why should the site profit from me if I'm no longer a member. It is false numbers to solicit advertising.

I don't think there's any intent to mislead anyone. However, since you think it's wrong, how about you coming up with the way it ought to be done. (1) When do we remove a member and count one less? After we don't hear from him/her for a day, a week, a month, 6 months, or what? (2) After a member is removed from the count, what do we do if he comes back? Does he have to register and start over again? On the number of posts he's made, do we count the ones from before he left for awhile, or do we just start over for a count? (3) When an old member returns, what if he's forgotten the username he used. Must he use the same one or can he start a new username. No, lets see . . . that would let that one person be counted as 2 different people, so how do we handle this?

I don't think the "false" numbers cause any advertiser to decide whether to advertise or not, but I'm no expert. Do you think there are advertisers who are too ignorant to understand that not all the "registered" members are going to still be around; whether by their own choice, being banned, or just temporarily not with us.

I look forward to learning how YOU would do it, since I'll admit that I don't know of a better way myself.

/ being banned #15  
I asked owners to remove me, they refused.

/ being banned #16  
Bird,
Long way back you suggested that I might be banned. (details escape me).
Over the last months a poster keeps talking about her olive oil and how sales are progressing on google etc.
I used the TBN link to suggest unpaid advertiser but she still posts all the latest events,
OK. she writes well and I actually enjoy the rants etc, BUT she is still advertising her products!
Does that mean that if I can tell a good story I can advertise my products?

/ being banned
I don't think there's any intent to mislead anyone. However, since you think it's wrong, how about you coming up with the way it ought to be done. (1) When do we remove a member and count one less? After we don't hear from him/her for a day, a week, a month, 6 months, or what? (2) After a member is removed from the count, what do we do if he comes back? Does he have to register and start over again? On the number of posts he's made, do we count the ones from before he left for awhile, or do we just start over for a count? (3) When an old member returns, what if he's forgotten the username he used. Must he use the same one or can he start a new username. No, lets see . . . that would let that one person be counted as 2 different people, so how do we handle this?

I don't think the "false" numbers cause any advertiser to decide whether to advertise or not, but I'm no expert. Do you think there are advertisers who are too ignorant to understand that not all the "registered" members are going to still be around; whether by their own choice, being banned, or just temporarily not with us.

I look forward to learning how YOU would do it, since I'll admit that I don't know of a better way myself.

Banned or self removal, removed from rolls , what's so difficult ?

/ being banned
Your 1 membership has NOTHING to do with how many advertising dollars they can charge for posting ads on this site. It's HOW MANY PEOPLE VIEW IT, not HOW MANY PEOPLE BELONG TO IT.

THEN NO PROBLEM TO DELETE SOME ONE FROM THE REGISTER, RIGHT?

/ being banned #19  
Bird,
Long way back you suggested that I might be banned. (details escape me).
Over the last months a poster keeps talking about her olive oil and how sales are progressing on google etc.
I used the TBN link to suggest unpaid advertiser but she still posts all the latest events,
OK. she writes well and I actually enjoy the rants etc, BUT she is still advertising her products!
Does that mean that if I can tell a good story I can advertise my products?

:laughing:I'm afraid I'm the wrong one to ask about that. The owner of the site is the final authority and the one you would have to ask. Maybe, in addition to advertising a product, it might depend on how much general interest a person's posts generate.

/ being banned #20  

I tend to look at a member's name when I respond to their post. That glance also reflects their join date and post count. It's very surprising how many posters are on here daily that might have joined 3,5,8,years ago and have less than ten posts. It would be a disservice to remove them from the membership list because of their rare posts. Most will comment that they peruse the site frequently but rarely post.

As someone mentioned earlier, it's viewers that determine advertising cost not membership numbers alone.

Thanks for all you've done for this site Bird.