Bent SSQA plates/hands - what are my options?

/ Bent SSQA plates/hands - what are my options? #11  
The cross tube is bent. I would try to bend the right side forward, but you need a way to lock/hold the left side while you bend the right side. The "easiest" way is as Rustyiron says--Cut the tube, time the sides then reweld.

================================
I WAS WRONG !!! SORRY. Apologies to all. Was thinking of the other cross tube instead of the one that matters here. Duh. My bad.
Of course all who said the cross tube (e.g. the one between the two plate brackets) is bent or twisted are obviously correct.
=================================

Good heavens, DO NOT start by cutting or welding or mangling anything... MAYBE the cross tube is bent or twisted and maybe not. Clearly the roll/curl cylinders are not matching in how far they are extended (in the right hand photo.) First put the tractor on some flat, hard, level surface like a concrete floor. Then lower the loader frame until the lower pivot pin part of the loader frame contacts the pavement. Are both sides down together? ... Or is one side still up off the pavement when the other side contacts the pavement ? If they are both close to the same vertical level at the pavement, then a bent cross tube is not your problem. If it IS bent (and thus the frame is 'spindled' and won't sit level on the pavement) then get it fixed and the tube repaired like the others said.

BUT, If the loader frame/cross tube is NOT bent then find out why the two hydraulic cylinders are extending to different lengths. Could be a bent or damaged cylinder (my first guess) , some hydraulic line blockage (unlikely) but who knows.

Last edited:
   / Bent SSQA plates/hands - what are my options? #12  
Good heavens, DO NOT start by cutting or welding or mangling anything... MAYBE the cross tube is bent or twisted and maybe not. Clearly the roll/curl cylinders are not matching in how far they are extended (in the right hand photo.) First put the tractor on some flat, hard, level surface like a concrete floor. Then lower the loader frame until the lower pivot pin part of the loader frame contacts the pavement. Are both sides down together? ... Or is one side still up off the pavement when the other side contacts the pavement ? If they are both close to the same vertical level at the pavement, then a bent cross tube is not your problem. If it IS bent (and thus the frame is 'spindled' and won't sit level on the pavement) then get it fixed and the tube repaired like the others said.

BUT, If the loader frame/cross tube is NOT bent then find out why the two hydraulic cylinders are extending to different lengths. Could be a bent or damaged cylinder (my first guess) , some hydraulic line blockage (unlikely) but who knows.

The cylinders don’t have any form of synchronization besides the cross tube. If you’re lucky the cross tube is the only thing that’s bent which it probably is but the cross tube is definitely bent.

/ Bent SSQA plates/hands - what are my options? #13  
The cylinders don’t have any form of synchronization besides the cross tube. If you’re lucky the cross tube is the only thing that’s bent which it probably is but the cross tube is definitely bent.
The two cylinders are fed by a common hydraulic line and are thus synchronized -- in that they have the same pressure to each. If one cylinder is bent or restricted or lost a seal or ? hung by whatever means, the other cylinder will go ahead and extend out of sync in the dump mode.

No feedback yet from the OP. It would help to know if both pads will rotate through their full range or not when you push the joy stick full left and full right.

In post #14 below airbiscuit says "With no attachment on the QA, do a full dump, see if the cylinder rods are bent." That is what I am saying too. The cross tube MAY well be twisted ... but check the cylinders first.

Last edited:
   / Bent SSQA plates/hands - what are my options? #14  
Since it popped of on one side, the cross tube is probably twisted.

With no attachment on the QA, do a full dump, see if the cylinder rods are bent.

Check the stops on each side. Put the side that is touching against a tree and slowly extend the other side, until it springs back straight inline with the other side, test by doing a full dump, both sides will be touching the stops.

View attachment 462932

View attachment 462933
1675141313319.png
1675141412768.png

hi folks..gravelman here..i put in a shim on one side...fully rolled out bucket arms...it worked... thanks for that advice...

/ Bent SSQA plates/hands - what are my options? #15  
For any permanent fix, you will have to cut the cross tube and reweld it with the locking plates flat on a level surface, like a welding table.
hugs, Brandi

/ Bent SSQA plates/hands - what are my options? #16  
With the B26 the ssqa cross or torque tube is light gauge compared to rest of the loader. Simply not designed heavy enough to not twist without having an attachment locked in place. We mow with the ssqa attachments off for better clearance. The attachment pads have gotten out of time many times. Curling all the way back aligns the pads to engage ssqa locking pins from small miss alignment. Tree adjusts gross miss alignment. Was really concerned at first but after 7 years just a quirk of the machine. Have not seen any paint loss or fatigue damage. Tube is more of a spacer than torque keeper. Torque strength is from the attachment. If it ever fails the next tube will be heavier, square or rectangular tubing. Strong loader for this size tractor. Cutting and welding the OEM tube would be a lot of work for a temporary fix.

Of the many ssqa loaders I’ve had it is the only one to do this. Suspect many of the small loaders could have this condition. Haven’t seen this with the larger loaders but usually have an attachment on. Use Chain, tree or concrete floor best option. No big deal.

/ Bent SSQA plates/hands - what are my options? #17  
The two cylinders are fed by a common hydraulic line and are thus synchronized
The only part allowing synchronization is the cross tube. Without that, the cylinders would move willy-nilly depending on the drag of the pins and cylinders. The power/pressure will take the path that's easier FIRST then balance if the weight is balanced. I'd like to see you lift something without the cross tube. :D

/ Bent SSQA plates/hands - what are my options? #18  
For any permanent fix, you will have to cut the cross tube and reweld it with the locking plates flat on a level surface, like a welding table.
hugs, Brandi
Even that is not permanent. If an attachment comes off one side it will twist the welded cross tube.

This is the OP's picture, the cross tube is definitely twisted as shown by the added red and black lines not being parallel:

twisted.jpg

Last edited:
   / Bent SSQA plates/hands - what are my options? #19  
Train your employees to inspect equipment before use.

/ Bent SSQA plates/hands - what are my options? #20  
The two cylinders are fed by a common hydraulic line and are thus synchronized -- in that they have the same pressure to each. If one cylinder is bent or restricted or lost a seal or ? hung by whatever means, the other cylinder will go ahead and extend out of sync in the dump mode.

No feedback yet from the OP. It would help to know if both pads will rotate through their full range or not when you push the joy stick full left and full right.

In post #14 below airbiscuit says "With no attachment on the QA, do a full dump, see if the cylinder rods are bent." That is what I am saying too. The cross tube MAY well be twisted ... but check the cylinders first.

The cylinders are fed by a common line but they don’t have flow dividers. If the cylinders were taken loose from the mount they would extend and retract independently of each other. That cross tube is 100 percent bent. There’s no question about that.