Best engine braking UTV

/ Best engine braking UTV #1  

johnk

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota GST Grand L3130 w/ 723 loader, Ags
I was wondering in real life experiences what UTV has great downhill braking ability using the engine to slow the vehicle without using the brakes? I am in the market for a UTV and have pretty steep hills to contend with. Your opinions are appreciated. I was looking at Polaris, Yamaha, Husqvarna etc but really don't have real time use of how they would work on the hills. I presently have a Honda rubicon atv and the engine braking on it is fantastic and was hoping to find a UTV with the same quality.

/ Best engine braking UTV #2  
I was wondering in real life experiences what UTV has great downhill braking ability using the engine to slow the vehicle without using the brakes? I am in the market for a UTV and have pretty steep hills to contend with. Your opinions are appreciated. I was looking at Polaris, Yamaha, Husqvarna etc but really don't have real time use of how they would work on the hills. I presently have a Honda rubicon atv and the engine braking on it is fantastic and was hoping to find a UTV with the same quality.

Diesel Kubota RTV's have fantastic engine braking...So much so that some don't like it...I do though.

/ Best engine braking UTV #3  
The kubota rtv is hands down the best on hills, my place is in the Mountains with steep hills and my RTV is 8 years old with no problems, I would have gone broke replacing the brakes on some of the others. I think the Kubota is more a tractor and the others are more a 4 wheeler. If you want to haul and pull and use as a tool Buy the kubota. if you want to ride and go fast buy one of the others. Just my opinion and I had a Kawasaki mule and a friend has a Rino, neither did well on my steep terain.

/ Best engine braking UTV #4  
We own three Yamahas,engine brakeing is the best in the business..

/ Best engine braking UTV #5  
just as said before me, the kubota rtv's hands down have the best engine/transmission braking ability. i use my rtv 900 on the steep hills of north central pa and i just about only use the brakes to stop and change gear ranges. the transmission braking ability is so strong that in low gear, i can completely let off the throttle and not touch the brake pedal, and when fully loaded with half a face cord of firewood in the back, on a 15 degree plus hill, and it will only creep. i could actually get off and walk back to it, it is that good at engine/transmission braking. i do not recommend you actually do that, but it does an excellent job at holding itself. i actually think it is more in the vht transmission then the engine. although i am sure they work hand and hand.

/ Best engine braking UTV
Has anyone tried both the Yamaha and the Kubota and can give a comparison of 1 person who has ridden each on a steep hill for a comparison. Will the Yamaha keep it at 2 miles an hour or under on a 15% grade without hitting the brakes.. With my hills braking is the most important aspect of the RTV for me. Thanks.

/ Best engine braking UTV #7  
as mentioned If you plan on using it for work I would go Kubota. I feel that they do have way too much engine braking in my opinion but most of my use is on flat to slightly sloping ground. I think that it would be very nice on a steep hill however.

/ Best engine braking UTV #8  
My Polaris LSV (electric) has excellent engine breaking in Low mode and good in High. This was super important to me and was a major deciding factor to go there.

What's cool is that I can change modes per above and vary the amount of engine breaking with just a flip of a button even on the run! Quite cool that way :).

/ Best engine braking UTV #9  
I have a Kawasaki 3010 two cylinder diesel Trans Mule and it just might be the worst in downhill engine braking due to the transmission cutting loose at low engine rpm so I have to constantly feather the throttle in order to maintain engine/transmission engagement. My question: Not even sure if this is feasible with the Mule transmission but is there an after market "jake brake" (compression release) kit made for UTVs?

/ Best engine braking UTV #10  
Unless I am on a steep hill the Kubota RTV1100 will come to a complete stop using only the hydro. Only use the foot brake for shifting between gears.
My Polaris Ranger RZR S has very little and my CAN AM Outlander 800 has fairly good for a CVT driven quad.

David Kb7uns