Best Gloves for Handling Firewood?

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood? #11  
I just buy the Large three sets of gloves at HD for about $10. Work about as well as any other pair. An good example of robust gloves are the White Ox type that Essential Craftsman likes.

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood? #12  
Right on - RedNeckGeek. Riding season is getting real close here. I use the Roadcrafter Classic jacket and a double layer set of jeans. Several sets of boots - Combat Lite if I'm going on a long trip. I always take two pair of Aerostich gloves with me. Elk skin ropers and a pair of their lined gauntlets. I HATE riding in the rain but spring riding - some times it's unavoidable.

I rode Harley's for 25 years. Now I'm a real softie. BMW R1200 GSA with HEATED grips. I'm completely surprised how much WARM hands help keep the whole body comfortable.

BTW - I ALWAYS wore gloves handling fire wood. From felling my ancient Ponderosa pines - all the way to loading the wood stove. Some enjoy showing their scars - I enjoy protecting my hands.
^^^ And it took me until your second paragraph to figure out that you were talking about motorcycle riding gloves. :D

(horse riding gloves are a bit different)

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood? #13  
I end up using duct tape to patch the holes I get in the fingers of gloves used to handling firewood. I have never worn out the palms of a glove first.

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood? #14  
I use double leather work gloves for piling and chipping brush and when splitting/stacking fire wood. I was getting them from Baileys but it turns out that HF has them for less:

For putting wood in the stove I use a set of welding gloves which I keep next to the stove. A few times after everything's burning a split has fallen against the doors. With the welding gloves I can reach in and move it without getting burned.

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood?
Right on - RedNeckGeek. Riding season is getting real close here. I use the Roadcrafter Classic jacket and a double layer set of jeans. Several sets of boots - Combat Lite if I'm going on a long trip. I always take two pair of Aerostich gloves with me. Elk skin ropers and a pair of their lined gauntlets. I HATE riding in the rain but spring riding - some times it's unavoidable.

I rode Harley's for 25 years. Now I'm a real softie. BMW R1200 GSA with HEATED grips. I'm completely surprised how much WARM hands help keep the whole body comfortable.

BTW - I ALWAYS wore gloves handling fire wood. From felling my ancient Ponderosa pines - all the way to loading the wood stove. Some enjoy showing their scars - I enjoy protecting my hands.
When it comes to foul weather on a motorcycle and hands, there's nothing better than a pair of heated grips. I've been using them now for maybe 20 years, and a set gets added to almost every bike I ride sooner than later.

I had an R1200GS that had a heated seat, but it was a rare day when it got cold enough out here in California that it felt good when it was on. Still, I do remember a time or two in the winter in the mountains, with snow in the air, when that seat was something of a life saver.

These days, though, if it's winter, I'll be on an older and far more reliable R100RT, and the fairing is such that elkskin ropers are usually all I need on my hands to stay warm. But I have had to slip on some insulated gloves when the temps drop down into the twenties. That's when those air cooled cylinders hovering over my toes really pay off!

But coming back on topic, a pair of elk skin ropers doesn't hold up very well when handling firewood, and they'll get holes worn in the fingertips long before I'm really ready to switch the current pair of moto gloves to firewood/tractor duties. And that means putting the new pair through the soak-em-in-water-and-ride-em-'till-they're-dry routine to break 'em in, something best done on a hot summer day, not in the middle of winter...

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood?
I use double leather work gloves for piling and chipping brush and when splitting/stacking fire wood. I was getting them from Baileys but it turns out that HF has them for less:
I just brought home a pair of those gloves for firewood chores, Eric. How long will a pair of them last you?

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood? #17  
I like the Lincoln Electric welding gloves ($11 at places like Home Depot) for working around camp fire or wood stove. Harbor Freight sells some cheap welding gloves but they seem to be very thin leather so I stay with the Lincolns.

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood? #18  
I just brought home a pair of those gloves for firewood chores, Eric. How long will a pair of them last you?
The pair that I have been using for piling brush and splitting firewood is about 9 months old. They last a lot longer than single thickness work gloves.

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood? #19  
I like the Lincoln Electric welding gloves ($11 at places like Home Depot) for working around camp fire or wood stove. Harbor Freight sells some cheap welding gloves but they seem to be very thin leather so I stay with the Lincolns.
HF has a number of different welding gloves. The ones I use for the stove are "MIG gloves" and are pretty thick... But I think they cost $18.

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood? #20  
I used to buy the basic firm-grip 3-pack of gloves from Home Depot for $10 also. But I get holes in the finger tips within a couple hours of hard use, just not worth it. So I graduated to the $13/pair version with reinforced everything. These last for a good loooong time of general use. I only tend to scrap them once I accidentally soak them in coolant, diesel or motor oil and they get gross.

I generally like the slimmer fitting, more dextrous gloves. The old-school big baggy grey leather gloves only come out for landscaping and masonry work.

browns-tans-firm-grip-work-gloves-55277-36-64_400.webp