Best grapple for brush?

/ Best grapple for brush? #21  
this is really helpful. You are saying the longer tines can still do the ground ripping/rooting though?
Yep, just need to tilt them forward/down a bit - which yes, may increase the risk to the curl cylinders a bit since they wouldn't be fully retracted, but it's a tractor and using the FEL for anything more than ripping an inch or two into the ground (and only while driving in a straight line) probably isn't the best use for the FEL. Seeing the loader arms even temporarily flex to the left or right isn't exactly what I'd call a fun experience (though it can be quite memorable) -- which is something that can happen if/when one side hits an underground object that doesn't want to move or the unmovable object is diagonal to the driving path.

Personally I prefer using the rippers on my box blade for dislodging buried roots, some types of stumps (like cedars and other trees with shallow, but wide spreading roots), semi-buried rocks, and overgrown (e.g. >5ft. tall) weeds/vegetation that can be backed over (completely or partially). While taking that box blade approach involves a second implement, the box blade also leverages the tractor's design strengths and provides ballast for loader operations. It also makes for easy windrowing of the roots/vegetation, after which those windrows can be raked/scooped up and hauled off in large volume with the grapple - and by large volume I mean packed in tight enough the grapple lid may not fully close, but is just providing enough clamping pressure to keep the load from spilling. This sort of scooping/hauling is where the L-bottom style can be of greater help since tipping the grapple back can help cradle more of the load.

On a side note: it can actually be an entertaining (yet disturbing) experience to use that method to such effect that the grapple is filled full enough of still green weeds/vegetation to start making the back of the tractor feel light.

The short-tine root rake grapples can also do all of this as well, but they usually don't have that tooth length/angle to help cradle a large/oversized load as much -- though whichever type of grapple is used sufficient ballast will still be needed on the rear.

Can't say that I thought/knew of all of this prior to buying a grapple, but after hitting roots that have brought the tractor to an immediate and total dead stop (on a few different occasions) I'm not sure I'd ever want to use the FEL on a tractor for primary root removal -- unless *perhaps* I absolutely knew what was buried under ground and where any large roots/pipes/rocks were.

Those large buried objects that don't move easily are also a very good reason to keep the working speeds LOW.

/ Best grapple for brush? #22  
IMG_4722.JPG

LOL - Here’s my grapple, and I actually have 2 of them!

I use them to load up my 5’ x 10’ trailer, and then move it to my burn pile with the hitch ball welded to the FEL of my tractor. And I can control the fire pretty precisely by feeding the sticks and what not in at my own pace. Also, nothing falls through the bottom of the trailer - even little pieces.

OK, OK, I wish I had a nice metal grapple, but it is too much of an operation and $$$$ to get the hydraulics installed, a QA, etc. (My tractor is only a BX25.)

/ Best grapple for brush? #26  
I use my GR30-HC-6" Anbo Grapple for everything, this one is very operator friendly. You can really clean up fast without gouging the surface or you can get real aggressive and can handle everything you give it. Just a bit of caution, if your working with a lot of branches, steer away from grapple rakes with jagged surface on the rake side of the grapple rake, the smaller branches and weeds seen to hold up in the rake and you have to shake it sometimes to dislodge them.
20201003_114443.jpg20210301_073316.jpg

/ Best grapple for brush?
I use my GR30-HC-6" Anbo Grapple for everything, this one is very operator friendly. You can really clean up fast without gouging the surface or you can get real aggressive and can handle everything you give it. Just a bit of caution, if your working with a lot of branches, steer away from grapple rakes with jagged surface on the rake side of the grapple rake, the smaller branches and weeds seen to hold up in the rake and you have to shake it sometimes to dislodge them.
View attachment 694391View attachment 694393
I really like the style of that. With a little bit of a shelf to the lower tines.

where did you get it from?

/ Best grapple for brush? #28  
I have a lot of brush piles and down trees I’ll want to move. I can get two styles of grapples I’m wondering which one y’all would recommend.

Here is a photo of an example brush pile and the two styles of grapple.
I have the Landpride SCG1072, which resembles the second photo (grapple on tractor). I use it for all kinds of brush and tree cleanup, and while I don't know if I'd truly be happer with the grapple of the left Steinsammler (?) grapple, I've often though a grapple with longer bottom tines would make me happier. Closer and longer bottom tines might drop less material between point of pickup and the brush pile destination.

That said, I'm not unhappy with my grapple and I'm still learning various techniques. One thing I could probably do better with mine (like your right hand photo) do an equal sided drop-from-above claw-like grab on the brush. But mostly I prefer to slide the tines along the ground to get the bottom material, and I would guess the Steinsammler is better at that . My landpride bottom tines are barely tines. For example, you can't really put anything on them (to carry) even with the grapple open and tilted, stuff just slides off because they're very curved. So what isn't secured by closing the grapple is lost. There are times I wouldn't mind being able to carry my chainsaw in the grapple, but no such luck.

/ Best grapple for brush? #29  
Some more pics of things I’d pick up
Now for that second set of photos that are more large trees, there's where the ability of my landpride curved grapple to act like a claw in the arcade game probably works better. I can't see the Steinsammler being quite as flexible with large tree carries. Having said that, I probably still try to scoop more from the bottom. Ultimately I'm just trying to pick the darn things up without damaging my grass or whatever else they fell on.

/ Best grapple for brush? #30  
This is the one I built, modeled on a WR Long product:

img_0074-jpg.464021

img_0498-jpg.471969

Used it to clear out this area towards the back of the picture that was being invaded by aspens:

img_0167-jpg.465129

img_0402-jpg.469883

Kind of surprising what you can dig and root out with a grapple and a FEL on a CUT ... assuming the right technique of course:

img_0183-jpg.465333

img_0271-jpg.465847

img_0260-jpg.465594

Area in the back of the image is after it was finished being cleared and graded out:

img_0506-jpg.472383