Best mower for steep terriain?

/ Best mower for steep terriain? #1  

TN8Man

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX5010 CAB HST
I have about 6 acres of hilly terrain with some pretty steep areas. I currently have a JD 445 that has been working well the past 5 years but the engine is nearing end of life. I was thinking about investing in getting the 445 fixed but then I could just sell it and use the proceeds for an upgraded machine. I could use a 4WD as I have had a few close calls with the 445 losing traction and sliding backwards down a hill with morning dew. That will wake you up in a hurry :eek:. I was also thinking that a diesel engine might be better with more longevity.

I'm not stuck on a JD "only" so I'm looking for something the meets my requirements and won't break the bank. I see that a 455 or x495 is still pricey for their age and the newer machines a few years old (like the x700 series) are not that much more but are they just as good performance wise and do they have diesel? Then there are the other brands like Husqvarna and other that are much more affordable but will they meet my requirement?

I would appreciate some inputs and suggestions.

/ Best mower for steep terriain? #2  
I mow a church that has a JD 455. Now I use my Grasshopper 428D but I used to use their 455. My Grasshopper is a way more capable slope mower. I’d definitely get a 4wd model if you go with another garden tractor.

/ Best mower for steep terriain? #3  
Goats! Plus you get free fertilizer.:laughing:

Something with 4WD for traction, low center of gravity (tip/flip/roll-over), that is very squaty, roll-over protection for the driver, driver restraint to keep in seat.

Last edited:
   / Best mower for steep terriain? #5  
My Cushman 6150 will run circles around my Steiner on hillsides, which are already known for their stability and traction on hills. Any commercial wing type 4wd turf mower would be the same. Plus you will cut your 6 acres of grass cutting down to no time at all.

/ Best mower for steep terriain? #6  
I currently have a JD 445 that has been working well the past 5 years but the engine is nearing end of life. I was thinking about investing in getting the 445 fixed but then I could just sell it and use the proceeds for an upgraded machine.

How do you know that the "engine is nearing end of life" ?

Did it send you a text?

Please explain.

Richard

/ Best mower for steep terriain?
Goats! Plus you get free fertilizer.:laughing:

Something with 4WD for traction, low center of gravity (tip/flip/roll-over), that is very squaty, roll-over protection for the driver, driver restraint to keep in seat.

:laughing: Actually goats are not that unusual around here. Preppers lawn service and a source of food when the zombie apocalypse starts ... or has it started? :laughing: But then I would need fencing.

How do you know that the "engine is nearing end of life" ?

Did it send you a text?

Please explain.

Richard

No text ... it has Alexa and she is screaming like a Banshee in heat

Actually she is smoking like a chimney and going through a few ounces of oil a week. That and one cylinder is about 50 psi lower than the other and below spec. That low compression cylinder will result in a fouled plug sometimes when the tractor is under load.

/ Best mower for steep terriain? #9  
You can always rebuild the engine. The Kawasaki are just as good as the old Onans (gas) and Yanmars (diesel).

You can always rebuild the engine. The Kawasaki are just as good as the old Onans (gas) and Yanmars (diesel).

I was starting to go down that path, and it's still an option, but I would like to look at all options.