Best place to buy tank magnets?

/ Best place to buy tank magnets? #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
Hi guys,

I think that an inexpensive and effective way to remove metal particles in the PT is to add tank magnets. I am thinking of either 'extending' my tank cap to turn it into a tank magnet holder (easiest solution) or drilling additional holes for adding tank magnets.

Where is the best place to buy them? Can I build them? I know that certain rare earth magnets will stop working if the oil gets hot (which it does). So, I want to ensure that I use tank magnets that are designed for this kind of use.

-Rob :)

/ Best place to buy tank magnets? #2  
Where is the best place to buy them? Can I build them? I know that certain rare earth magnets will stop working if the oil gets hot (which it does). So, I want to ensure that I use tank magnets that are designed for this kind of use.

How hot is hot? If you heat any magnet with a torch, you will destroy
or reduce their magnetism. But will the heat of your oil be hot enough?

Anyway, you can get 2 free neodymium magnets out of an old hard drive
that you can take apart. You can also buy HD magnets salvaged from
old HDs from SurplusCenter for $3 each. As for mounting them, tell us
what you come up with.

/ Best place to buy tank magnets? #4  
Please go to Kens website and look at what he did. A+ work on tank magnets

I went cheap, and just bought a few neodeuym magnet bars and put 3 on my big filter. Works like a charm Take them off when the filter comes off and goes onto the new filter once on.

/ Best place to buy tank magnets?
   / Best place to buy tank magnets? #7  
Mine were Lenz brand that i bought on Ebay. But if you do a google search, there are a bunch of places that carry their products.

A cheap solution would be to take a HF magnet and thread a mounting bolt to it. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1955114

One could also use threaded rod and use nuts to separate a few of these round ones 66mm Round Magnet

Either way, i would either weld the threaded units or use the permanent Lock Tite. There is obviously a risk using a home made solution like this.

The magnets on the filter are a simple solution. I have no idea how this compares to the tank magnets as far as effectiveness goes. If I think of it, I will throw some on my filter and see what i get.

Ken

/ Best place to buy tank magnets? #9  
An pilot friend uses something similar on all of his planes. (He owns a flight school.) He said that they work so well that they don't worry about not salvaging them at oil changes.

He said that there is always metal stuck to them.

I had a magnetic drain plug on an old car of mine that always seemed to have metallic dust on it. Then again, I sold it when it had 275,000 miles on the original engine.

I went Carl's route, but I am thinking of upgrading to these.

All the best,

Peter

In another thread, you posted a link to this:

Oil Filter Metallic Shaving/Particle Retainer - Oil Changes - Car Maintenance - Griot's Garage

Is there a reason you decided against using one of these? I'm curious because I was thinking of buying one...looks like a simple solution.

Thanks!

/ Best place to buy tank magnets? #10  
Thanks Peter. I think I'll try on of these on the hyraulic filter at least. Does anyone think it's worth putting one on the hydraulic filter and the oil filter? Also, does anyone know the sizes of these filters offhand for the 425 with Robin engine?