Best snowblower width for 35hp, 62" wide tractor

/ Best snowblower width for 35hp, 62" wide tractor #21  
Just fab up a set of wings for the blower from 1/4" steel with gussets. Issue solved.

I agree that wings work great on an angled plow.

I don't think wings on a snowblower would work quite as slick as wings on a plow. Just get one that's the proper width in the first place and there's no need to hang stuff on the ends that's going to just pack with snow.

/ Best snowblower width for 35hp, 62" wide tractor #22  
I agree that wings work great on an angled plow.

I don't think wings on a snowblower would work quite as slick as wings on a plow. Just get one that's the proper width in the first place and there's no need to hang stuff on the ends that's going to just pack with snow.
They'd work OK in light snow events but with a serious dumping you'd need to develop some techniques, like first pass with blower elevated or 1/2 cuts.

Heavy wet snow would be quite a problem as you'll find yourself simply pushing a mass of unblown snow. (bad enough w/o wings).

/ Best snowblower width for 35hp, 62" wide tractor #23  
I have the MK Martin SB68 P/T and it is a really decent built unit.

/ Best snowblower width for 35hp, 62" wide tractor #24  
Chim -

Can you explain what the advantage of an "underslung" plow is (as opposed to just mounting the frame directly on the SSQA)? Is it just that it lets the blade float more easily than if it were mounted directly on the FEL arms?

I've been debating getting a plow for my tractor fro years now, but never made the jump.
The primary advantage of the underslung plow is when casting snow to one side or the other. The farther the blade is from the front wheels, the easier it is for the snow load to push the tractor sideways. Think about wanting the fat kid closer to you on the see-saw:)

The float is done with chains, and can be done regardless of where the blade is mounted. Mine is designed to enable me to float just the blade, or if more down pressure is needed I can let the loader arms float on the plow frame. For serious scraping the weight of the tractor can be brought to it.

Here's the build, and a shoutout to Paul Short, GordonGould and TractorNH for paving the way:

/ Best snowblower width for 35hp, 62" wide tractor #25  
72 inch fully hydraulic Normand blower from Pattersons on my 33 hp HST LS tractor . zero issues , never bogs me down and throws snow pretty far. Your tractor should handle this with ease .

20210103_114443.jpg

/ Best snowblower width for 35hp, 62" wide tractor #26  
72 inch fully hydraulic Normand blower from Pattersons on my 33 hp HST LS tractor . zero issues , never bogs me down and throws snow pretty far. Your tractor should handle this with ease .

View attachment 724965
You have guts...lol snow blowing on a cabless unit is tantamount to snowmobiling.

/ Best snowblower width for 35hp, 62" wide tractor #27  

View attachment 724965

You have guts...lol snow blowing on a cabless unit is tantamount to snowmobiling.

The hyd spout tip makes a world of difference on an open station. My old blower didn't have it, new one does.

I have open station as well, huge reduction in snowman effect with the spout tip, helps control the snow much better and lowering it even keeps the snow below your seating position on the tractor.

Attachments

• IMG_4174.JPG
    IMG_4174.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 69
   / Best snowblower width for 35hp, 62" wide tractor #28  
Once in a while the wind will wake me up with a face full of cold dust but on the whole it's quite enjoyable. :) It's the very best when you wait and go out the next day with no wind and a sunny day for cleanup. Good tractor therapy 🚜

/ Best snowblower width for 35hp, 62" wide tractor
I just missed a nice deal on a Meteor with hydraulic chute. We are living in town until summer when our new place with a 500' lane will be ready. So I am in no rush, but this is all good info to have on hand, so that when a deal comes along I can jump on it quickly. So far we have only had one big dump of snow this year, and it was completely melted within a few days. I suspect we will only get a handful more. When we need to get out the lane in the morning can't wait for it to melt though :). If I knew I was going to use it 10x a year, I'd have no problem spending $4500-$5000 CAD. But for 3x a year, I can get by with less of a machine. I'll just keep my eyes open for deal for a while. The wife is asking why we need to buy it now. I may have to wait until she is snowed in one day to get permission to spend the money. :(

/ Best snowblower width for 35hp, 62" wide tractor #30  
Like I said, have a Lucknow inside the barn with a hydraulic chute rotator I'd like to sell {Probably put it on Tractor House. I've had excellent luck selling excess equipment on there in the past.