Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #11  
Just as the title says. I liked the color of the Benjamin Moore "barn red" stain but just realized its only a stain and offers no weather protection. The Behr stain plus weather protection would be great but their red colors are limited. This is going on a 50x70 barn with new rough cut popular siding. Any one have some recommendations please?

Thank you,

I used Sherwin Williams barn red (or brick red) exterior paint on my house in 2005. It's the pretty good stuff ($55/gal IIRC)

Here's what it looked like in Oct 2005 when the house was being installed.

House-Oct 2005.JPG

Here's the same in Oct 2013.

House-Oct 2013.JPG

This side of the house faces South and gets the intense sunlight.

That red color has held up pretty good going on 10 years. Which is impressive since reds are notorious for fading. Example: the hood of my Mahindra 5525 is pretty faded after about 7 years and I keep it under the carport most of the time.

BTW: I used that Behr one-coat deck paint on the railings in the second photo (Oct 2013). Posts and the horizontals are pressure treated lumber. The ballisters are Douglas fir.

Good luck.

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #12  
BTW: that Sherwin Williams red is applied to Hardiplank.

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #13  
You can take a sample of any color you want, and any paint store, or big box store, can match it with their computer and mix it with almost any product they carry. I do it all the time, I prefer certain brands, but like other colors, or need to match an existing color.

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #14  
Howse about red transmission fluid? I have zero experience with it, but it gets favourably talked about...just a thought to check out.

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #15  
Years ago farmers used red lead paint, or stain. Maybe that stuff is not lawful anymore.???

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #16  
The original barn red paint recipe consisted of skimmed milk, lime, and red iron oxide. To prevent peeling, the mix was later amended to include linseed oil.

Interior stains consisted of milk and animal blood. A pigment called Indian Red was made from clay and the whites of turkey eggs. Turkey blood was added for a mahogany shade. Interesting!

You have a beautiful barn. I would be tempted to clear coat it and leave it au natural!

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #17  
I have a 40x40 barn that I built 25 years ago. I stained up thru 2013. In a couple of years, it will need to be redone, it's T111 siding. Next time I am going to paint it with a premium paint, like Sherwin Williams. Stains seem to have gotten less robust over the years, and paints have gotten much better. Some have 35 year guarantees!

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #18  
Where I work the big barn and outbuildings are all stained red and have white trim out...Olympic Navaho Red is what we always use

Olympic

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #19  
I have to second Olympic stains also.
Things that I stained in the late '50's and 60's still are holding up.
20 years ago I built a shed using strand oriented board and sealed it using Olympic Oil opaque stain and as I hoped the building still is in great shape.

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #20  
Personally, I would use an oil based paint rather than a stain. Part of the look of a red barn is the gloss that comes with oil and stain lacks that. I used expensive and high quality stain on a barn round 15 years ago and it was a disaster. There was little wood protection and it started dulling in a few weeks.

Rustolium used to sell a "red barn' gloss oil based paint that worked real well and Agway Farm stores in New England also used to sell a "red barn" gloss oil paint in 5 gallon buckets that looked great.

Last edited: