Best Subsoiler/ripper

/ Best Subsoiler/ripper #1  

TheMadOne

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560HSTC-LE, formerly L3301
I'm waiting on my EA Grapple, and while I'm waiting I've been pondering root breaking strategies. Since I don't have a backhoe, I figure a subsoiler would work to cut the roots so I can get stumps out without having to dig on every side with the bucket.

The problem I'm having is that most single shank subsoilers I can find are only rated for small machines, sub 25HP.

I found a few companies that seem to make what I want, Bison and Rhino, and I figured I'd ask for opinions on this plan and these rippers. Or if you know of another brand that has what I'm looking for.

/ Best Subsoiler/ripper #2  
I'm waiting on my EA Grapple, and while I'm waiting I've been pondering root breaking strategies. Since I don't have a backhoe, I figure a subsoiler would work to cut the roots so I can get stumps out without having to dig on every side with the bucket.

The problem I'm having is that most single shank subsoilers I can find are only rated for small machines, sub 25HP.

I found a few companies that seem to make what I want, Bison and Rhino, and I figured I'd ask for opinions on this plan and these rippers. Or if you know of another brand that has what I'm looking for.

If you're wanting to take it to the next level of durability, there is the K-Tec Tricerabox
tricerabox_hero.jpg

/ Best Subsoiler/ripper #3  
Bush hog makes a beast of one. I’ve running it for a year now and is real heavy built. To run a double you better have a stout tractor. I have a 4x4 Ford 5610 Cab tractor with 72hp. And it’s all it wants in hard clay soil types. Not sure if you’ve ran a old Ford but they are way stouter than a lot of the newer 70-80 hp tractors.

IMG_0601.jpg

Bush Hog(R) DSS1S/1L Heavy Duty Subsoilers

/ Best Subsoiler/ripper #4  
FYI. If your looking for deep ripping and to break up soil compaction this is what you want.

/ Best Subsoiler/ripper #5  
I have an ETA shear-bolt-protected Subsoiler for my L3560.
The tractor and implement are a good match. The subsoiler is built strong.

I have had no success using a Subsoiler to cut green tree roots.
After an herbicide treated stump has been dead three years or so, the Subsoiler cuts the roots fine.

Last edited:
   / Best Subsoiler/ripper #6  
Yeah mine doesn’t cut them either. BUT it just rips up everything. Small trees bushes doesn’t matter. LOL

But then you gotta pull all that stuff off. By the way once I hit a big big root or rock. Never knew for sure what it was as I couldn’t see it. Tractor just stopped in it’s tracks and started spinning. Keep in mind a Ford 5610 MWFD, cab, plus loader weighs in at roughly 10-11k. So to stop it takes something real big. Was a funny feeling though as only time it ever happened. By the way I don’t even think it has a shear bolt. Just has 2 mounting bolts where you can change the plow arm.

/ Best Subsoiler/ripper #7  
This Land Pride works we on our L5740HSTC and M8540HDC, but thes don't work well on very big roots.

Attachments

• IMG_8752.JPG
    IMG_8752.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 267
   / Best Subsoiler/ripper #8  
I just bought this old beast from my neighbour. It has been leaning against a tree on our property line for years, but I never owned a tractor...until now. It will be interesting to see who wins, tractor, subsoiler, or the ground and roots.
IMG_20190322_090106.jpeg

/ Best Subsoiler/ripper #9  
You might try looking for an old Fold subsoiler. I bought this one a couple years ago for $100. It has a straight edge that should do a pretty good job of cutting through roots.
IMG_1371.JPG

The blade part is 3/4” thick, so it is pretty stout.
IMG_1372.JPG
I was able to order a replacement cutting edge from Agri Supply.
IMG_1373.JPG

The legs are stowed inside the main beam. With the legs inserted, it stands upright so you can easily hitch it up.

IMG_1370.JPG

Here is it after some paint behind my 68hp LS. In this picture the point is about 20” below the surface.

IMG_1471.JPG