Best truck under $10k?

/ Best truck under $10k? #31  
That’s very similar to the 2003 Suburban we bought last May.

One thing, though, is that used prices have skyrocketed since just last year. So expect to pay a bit more in today’s world.
The issue with used GM products is their cylinder deactivation system. You can deactivate it with a Holley / Range deactivation module (on the earlier ones) but the later ones you cannot and the cylinder deactivation system causes eventual oil consumption plus the newer system has expensive to repair issues.

I will say (owning both Ford and GM products) that General Motors products are light years easier to perform routine maintenance on compared to Fords, especially their front wheel drive models.

Personally, I'd never buy a used Chrysler product, I don't believe their build quality is on par with Ford or GM. Personal opinion only.

If I was to buy a used pickup truck today, I believe I'd buy a used Toyota or Nissan unit. Not in the market myself and never will be.

Hard to find used trucks today for a good price that aren't beat. Just not out there. People are hanging on to older trucks (and cars), much like older pre emissions tractors but with tractors it's for a different reason.

/ Best truck under $10k? #32  
Living out west, corrosion should not ne an issue, but here in the upper midwest, it becomes a big issue so a used truck should be looked over carefully underneath and especially in the wheel arches where mud and salt collects and rots the sheet metal. The other ' Achilles heel with domestic products (again up here in the upper midwest and east) is the fact that domestic automakers use steel brakelines that are prone to rusting out and can be an expensive issue to fix. I've replaced a number of rotted brakelines in the past. They always seem to fail where they are impacted by road spray (doing them on my wife's 2016 van right now). European car makers for years have used alloy brake lines that don't rot out but for some reason domestic manufacturers are still using steel hard lines.

/ Best truck under $10k? #33  
The issue with used GM products is their cylinder deactivation system. You can deactivate it with a Holley / Range deactivation module (on the earlier ones) but the later ones you cannot and the cylinder deactivation system causes eventual oil consumption plus the newer system has expensive to repair issues.

I will say (owning both Ford and GM products) that General Motors products are light years easier to perform routine maintenance on compared to Fords, especially their front wheel drive models.

Personally, I'd never buy a used Chrysler product, I don't believe their build quality is on par with Ford or GM. Personal opinion only.

If I was to buy a used pickup truck today, I believe I'd buy a used Toyota or Nissan unit. Not in the market myself and never will be.

Hard to find used trucks today for a good price that aren't beat. Just not out there. People are hanging on to older trucks (and cars), much like older pre emissions tractors but with tractors it's for a different reason.
I’ve never owned a GM product that has cylinder deactivation.

/ Best truck under $10k? #34  
If I was to buy a used pickup truck today, I believe I'd buy a used Toyota or Nissan unit.

eww-god-no.gif

/ Best truck under $10k? #36  
I fully expect to get flamed here.... Not a "real" truck but it will carry a full sheet of plywood flat - the Honda Ridgeline. I sold my 12 year old Ridgeline with 140K miles for $9,500. It's enough truck for many people and it drives like an SUV. We replaced it in kind, plenty of truck for me.

There are some good trucks out there under 10K, but you have to really look and do your due diligence. There's also a lot of over priced used and abused trucks out there.

/ Best truck under $10k? #37  
It's a thing for many model years starting around 2007 in some models. Older system wiped out the cam and lifters when it failed newer system causes big time oil consumption.

/ Best truck under $10k? #38  
I fully expect to get flamed here.... Not a "real" truck but it will carry a full sheet of plywood flat - the Honda Ridgeline. I sold my 12 year old Ridgeline with 140K miles for $9,500. It's enough truck for many people and it drives like an SUV. We replaced it in kind, plenty of truck for me.

There are some good trucks out there under 10K, but you have to really look and do your due diligence. There's also a lot of over priced used and abused trucks out there.
B5D6FAB1-E621-4829-B5CC-D5A3C14E348D.jpeg

/ Best truck under $10k? #39  
I’ve never owned a GM product that has cylinder deactivation.
You don't want one either. Amazing how little power a V8 castrated to a 4 cylinder don't make. GM only did it to make the CAFE overall use regulation for gasoline engines. I deleted my wife's and the average mpg didn't drop at all. It still gets terrible mileage but it sounds like a V8, not a 4 cylinder with asthma. Really besides poor power, the only difference is it HAS power.

Big issue for us at least was the lag time between cylinder deactivation and a real V8. Took a couple seconds to revert and the lag was somewhat disconcerting, especially if you wanted to pass a slower vehicle and it was running on 4.

Kind of like the stop at the light and the engine shuts off deal. Considering the overall quality of sourced components today, I wonder how long the starters will last...

We got the big V8 because you don't haul around a Suburban magic bus with a 4 cylinder in the first place.

/ Best truck under $10k? #40  

I certainly won't flame you at all. Seems people who buy 'pickup' trucks today the ones they buy, the beds are shorter than the cabs are. Can you even get an 8 foot bed today? I don't know but I'm not buying one anyway. I'll take Japanese technology and attention to detail over American car companies anytime.