Best way to clean rust from my fuel tank

/ Best way to clean rust from my fuel tank #1  

Sean2202

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L305DT
Greetings,

I was looking for recommendations on how to clean the rust from my fuel tank. This particular tank is on a Toro gas 5500 sprayer manufactured in 1998 with a 4cyl ford engine. I have recently had problems with rust clogging the fuel line and filter. The tank has never been removed and I am in the process of removing it now. I have drained the gas into a 5 gallon bucket and there is some rust particles on the bottom of the bucket, not a lot but some. I see there are many ways on the internet of cleaning a metal tank but I figured I would ask here before trying anything.

Thanks for any suggestions

Sean

/ Best way to clean rust from my fuel tank #2  
Small gravel, then shake is one method I've read.

Others may use shot, like that used for shot blasting.

/ Best way to clean rust from my fuel tank #3  
You can use nuts, bolts, screws, or whatever in your tank then shake it to knock the rust loose. If you remove all fittings you can pour muriatic acid into the tank and leave it for ten minutes or so before rinsing with water. Leave it out in the sun to bake dry after rinsing. Protect threads for fittings and follow with a good tank sealer (paint type stuff) from an auto parts store. Allow to set per instructions. Add an inline filter to your system if you don't already have one.

/ Best way to clean rust from my fuel tank #5  
A couple pounds of bolts, screws and nuts and then strap to a cement mixer works pretty good.

/ Best way to clean rust from my fuel tank #6  
Use apple cider vinegar. Let it soak an hour or three and then add a handful of nuts and bolts. Shake and stir as needed. If the tank is rusting than you know the galvanized coating has broken down. As a result you will need to seal the inside of the tank to prevent future rust. Easy to do with product available from your local auto parts store.

/ Best way to clean rust from my fuel tank #7  
For decades I used aviation fuel sealer and it worked like a charm... once and done.

That is until the reformulated gas hit the market in California and the sealer turned to goo...

Just make sure whatever sealer is compatible with the fuel used.

/ Best way to clean rust from my fuel tank #8  
I tried using gravel one time in a outboard tank and had a real mess. The shaking broke down the gravel some and I ended up with a slight slurry type substance in bottom of tank. Took quite awhile to rinse that out. Bolts & lock washers are the better choice, just don't use stainless. A magnet won't work on getting them out.

/ Best way to clean rust from my fuel tank #9  
For motorcycle tanks lengths of chain worked for me.

/ Best way to clean rust from my fuel tank #10  
Evapo-rust!