best way to clean the engine

/ best way to clean the engine #1  

KevinMcD

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
Any do's or don'ts when it comes to cleaning the engine? I had an oil leak, which got blown all over the engine compartment.
Thanks,
Kevin McD.
Kioti CK30 HST

/ best way to clean the engine #2  
Some folks say you should avoid a number of the electrical connections, terminals, alternators, etc. Personally, I avoided only the air intake and I would not hit a hot engine with cold water. Of course I wouldn't hit radiator fins with enough pressure (either water OR air) at an angle that could bend the cooling fins. I've been cleaning my car, pickup, and tractor engines that way for many years.

/ best way to clean the engine #3  
On our aircraft engines we use starting fluid to remove oil residue from leaks. Of course you have to use some caution, no open flames and have good ventilation. But it does work fast, and well, leaving no residue.

/ best way to clean the engine #4  
IMO... Dawn dish washing detergent, a pressure washer and keeping away from key parts...

You do not need the Dawn, it is a cheap cleaner though. A pressure washer can be too abusive, expecially on radiator fins...

You want to keep the water out of 3 key areas, the oil, the diesel, and any exposed electronics. Supposedly a tractor is "water tight" in terms of electronics, but with a pressure washer things will get under the skin quick.

I generally do not wash around the fuel tank caps, nor the oil tank caps. On the engine make sure your caps are on tight and don't spray them directly...

Some people don't clean alternators (I disagree with this) and starters - Both should be engineered to take the water...

Anyway.. . The most important tool is your kids, make them go do it and sit and supervise...

/ best way to clean the engine #5  
GUNK "Engine Bright" has always served me well if the deposits are not too great. Spray on,let sit,hose off with low pressure garden hose. Does smell a little after warmed up after treatment.I give all my vehicles a cleaning every year or so. Keeps the engine compartment reasonably tidy-gets the dust and oily films. Pretty decent really.

/ best way to clean the engine #6  
Simple Green and a pressure washer will do a great job. If you have heavy oil or grease you may want to use Gunk first.

/ best way to clean the engine #8  
Castrol Purple Power, let it sit about 5 min and then a garden hose. Be careful as it will remove some paint also.

/ best way to clean the engine
thanks for all the input. I have GUNK so I'll use that.

/ best way to clean the engine #10  
I'll second the Simple Green. Use your toothbrush on the areas with heavy dirt and grease build up, then hose it off with a garden hose. Works for me and it gives my toothbrush something else to do.:eek: