best way to clean the engine

/ best way to clean the engine #11  
I just use dishwater detergent and the hose or pressure washer. I used to do the car engines at the car wash.:D:D

/ best way to clean the engine #12  
Use your toothbrush on the areas with heavy dirt and grease build up, then hose it off with a garden hose. Works for me and it gives my toothbrush something else to do.:eek:

:D:D Does it kinda leave a bad taste in your mouth right after using the brush to clean the engine?:p

Here's a tip: Use your wife's toothbrush and you won't get that bad taste in your mouth.;)

/ best way to clean the engine #13  
Just a bump and concussion like symptoms on the head!:D:D:D

/ best way to clean the engine #14  
I'll chalk up another vote for the simple green... like to open the hood up for a bit so it can get "sun hot", then give it a good soaking of simple green, come back after a bit, give it another spray on the more difficult areas, let it soak a bit more, then come back with the pressure washer, clean it all up, and let the sun dry it up.

I do my best to avoid the filters, fins & battery, but once its dry... water gets most places driving in rain or snow, so...

Smells good & nontoxic/biodegradable.

/ best way to clean the engine #15  
I spray the greasy areas with diesel fuel and let it sit for a day or so. Then pressure wash and keep away from sensitive areas like electronics and oil or air entrances. Works for me.
I have had some products fade my engine paint but never with diesel. Dawn also works well for dirty areas. It needs time to soak in.

/ best way to clean the engine #16  
Do any of you guys cleaning engines have a well?

I am wondering how far from the well I should keep the engine cleaning operation to avoid contaminating the water with detergent & oil.

/ best way to clean the engine #17  
CurlyDave-- I have a well, and have become more concerned lately with run-off-- I've pretty much switched from Gunk, except for really heavy grease, and just use Fantastic around the engine compartment on my cars, then hose off with no nozzle and just a bit of pressure.

Smells better, and makes me feel better about the ground.... If I have to use Gunk, I dilute the run-off heavily with water after rinsing the machinery.

I do my cleaning downslope and about 60' away from my wellhead.