Best way to clean up storm debris

/ Best way to clean up storm debris #1  

jabelding

Gold Member
Tractor
2014 Kioti CK35 2015 CS2410
We had quite the wind storm Monday this week, still no power. I decided I better do some clean up on the front yard and drive way before it snows, don't think my snow blower will like all the branches. I found that my chain harrow makes a great debris rake!
20171031_163926.jpg

/ Best way to clean up storm debris #2  
Good idea. We had a tornado come through close to my house. It took out a lot of trees and left debris scattered across about 4 acres of my hay field. Pine cones and limbs everywhere and the field had already grown to about a foot high or more. Not wanting to disturb any more than I had to I used my landscape rake and slowly pulled all the debris to the outside of the field. It took a long, long time because I'd have to go out into the field and drag towards the borders, going out in the field just far enough so my rake wouldn't build up and start losing stuff from the sides.

/ Best way to clean up storm debris #3  
The fall winds simply blow away any leaves from my TWO broadleaf trees. Pine needles - now that is a different story. I've tried everything and unfortunately a simple old lawn rake works the best. I have to rake up all the pine needles because they do not break down like maple, oak, birch, etc, etc leaves. Soon the buildup will be so great as to kill out the lawn.

/ Best way to clean up storm debris #4  
The fall winds simply blow away any leaves from my TWO broadleaf trees. Pine needles - now that is a different story. I've tried everything and unfortunately a simple old lawn rake works the best. I have to rake up all the pine needles because they do not break down like maple, oak, birch, etc, etc leaves. Soon the buildup will be so great as to kill out the lawn.

You need a rotary broom! I like to use pine needles as mulch, unfortunately, most of my pine trees have died.

/ Best way to clean up storm debris #5  
Hmmm.......... Now there is an idea that hadn't "flashed" the grey matter. I will definitely look into that.

/ Best way to clean up storm debris #8  
Everything Attachments | Skid Steer Attachments, Tractor Attachments, 3 Point Hitch Attachments, and Farm Tractor Implements.

/ Best way to clean up storm debris #9  
In my part of the world pine straw is very popular, fire danger is there though. Our old house had yard full of pines and we had no problem raking with landscaping rake. But liked a peanut rake better for the tines were further apart and let the small limbs run through giving you cleaner straw. Now if you want "red bugs" or "chiggers" which ever name your prefer you rake the straw when weather is still warm and work in the straw and be ready to scratch. But easy solution to that is a hot bath treated wit a cup or two of bleach.

/ Best way to clean up storm debris #10  
My pine straw rake is one of my favorite tools, good for cleanup tasks, covering seed as well as the pine needles.
The new EA rake with replaceable tines is awesome.