Best way to cut pipe at an angle?

/ Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #31  
I'm down in oilfield counytry. Y'all are giving some complicated info.

Just shoot with a transit on every post and establish level. Pipe is metal, so magnets are your friend. You can put a magnet on your mark and measure up from that. Figure your pitch and Mark the thing. Like stated earlier, take a piece of cereal box and use it for a wrap around. Cut a short piece of pipe with your angle. Wrap the paper around the pipe and let it hang over an inch or so. Mark around the inside of the paper and follow the angle. Unroll the paper and cut your line. Bottom should remain square and line the edges on bottom each time so your top will be the same. I have long gooseneck trailers built out of pipe except for the steel on floor and the hitch. Trailer for hauling pipe. Shop is 36x48 and framed with pipe. C purlin and tin. I've used many joints of pipe in my life. I'd cut it with a torch. We just show up in a welding truck and build it. Built my brother a 60 x 80 with 26' ceiling. But it was a lot of I beam.

/ Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #32  
I wish I had the time to sketch it or a photo to show you another way I've seen it done. I've seen them notch the vertical pipe by cutting halfway through the diameter and then removing the notch material by cutting straight vertical with a cut-off wheel, so your truss will rest on the shelf of the remaining diameter. This lets you still slightly adjust the angle of the truss and do a vertical, rather than overhead weld.

I hope that makes sense, I'm in the middle of cooking dinner.

I was just at the deer lease and snapped some photo's of what I was trying to explain.
Notch 1.jpg
Notch 2.jpg

/ Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #33  
   / Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #34  
Trigonometry for the trades, in terms of rise, run, and slope distances:
Tangent = rise/run, Sin= rise/slope, Cosine =run/slope.

But you don’t need trig. This is baby math.

The diameter of your pipe is 2-7/8-inch = 2.875 inches.
Your slope 2/12
Thus your rise in the 2.75 inches is: rise/2.875=2/12; rise= (2*2.875)/12
= 0.479166666. Or, approximately 1/2-inch

Mark a level line around the pipe at grade. measure up 1/2 inch on the inside

Run a piece of tape from the 1/2 mark around the pipe to the grade on the outside, as close to straight as you can get it.

Cut the pipe off, following your tape. Cut so any error is to the high side of the 1/2 mark.

Get an adjustable bevel gauge, and set it to the 2/12 pitch. Touch up the cut with the grinder until the bevel is clean across it.

tip: Get teh high point set with teh bevel gauge, and don’t worry about the sides. Then grind the sides till you get a sheet of polycarb to lay flat cross the beveled cut. You can buy the polycarb in 8X12 pieces as replacement window glazing at most big box or hardware stores. The clear poly carb lets you see your high points, and how close you are to teh tip.

Last edited:
   / Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #35  
Templates:
Drawing it out on the flat and then wrapping is the same thing only faster and more accurate.

Baby Math=???

E57B329B-09FC-4297-9161-866EA1AFC37B.jpeg

/ Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #36  
Baby Math=???
Calculus is “Big Kid” math.

Differential Equations, Numeric Analysis, Vector Calculus, and Calculus based Statistics, (basically all the 400-level, two semester sequence classes), are bigger kid math. You don’t get Adult Math until grad school.

/ Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #37  
   / Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #38  
I have a small Klutch table top band saw. I suspect the vise would support the saw if I wanted to hang it on a pipe.
Then I can adjust the angle while it's hanging there....or set it up before attaching it.
If the vise can securely hold a 3" piece of tubing it can certainly hold the saw in place on a piece of pipe.