Best way to cut pipe at an angle?

/ Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #11  
--------------------
I have one of those gadgets that slips over the pipe to mark a saddle, straight cut, or 45 degree cut but how do I go about making a 9.5 degree cut on the pipe?
Get another straight cut gadget and cut it on a bandsaw to 9.5 degrees.

/ Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #12  
Myself, I do better work with a jig made up to guide the cut rather than relying on following a mark. Find or make a piece of metal pipe -like 3" with the appropriate fit and a place to fit a line to locate it so they are all even.

/ Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #13  
Place a 2x4 or something at the height of the other end of the steel I-beam. Pull a string at the appropriate angle from the top of the 2x4 and to the pipe (or to another 2x4 further away). Once you have the string in place, you can cut it anyway you want, using the string as a guide. Remove the string during cutting and place it back to check your angle.
David from jax

/ Best way to cut pipe at an angle?
Thanks guys. You got the gears turning and I can figure this out now.

/ Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #15  
Last summer I had 4 posts about 9 inches diameter that needed angled cuts made on the tops for a beam. The guy set wood at the right angle and height. Then used a laser level to show where to mark the posts. He used a sharpie. Then a chainsaw. it worked very well.
Eric

/ Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #16  
I wish I had the time to sketch it or a photo to show you another way I've seen it done. I've seen them notch the vertical pipe by cutting halfway through the diameter and then removing the notch material by cutting straight vertical with a cut-off wheel, so your truss will rest on the shelf of the remaining diameter. This lets you still slightly adjust the angle of the truss and do a vertical, rather than overhead weld.

I hope that makes sense, I'm in the middle of cooking dinner.

/ Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #17  
This is how we did it back when I was starting out...

pipe_development.jpg

I first did it with pencil and paper, then eventually a computer, and finally a piece of 3d modeling software that would generate any pipe template configuration you could imagine. if you have any rudimentary drafting ability, or even want to learn for that matter, you can do this with a straight edge, scale (ruler), compass, and calculator. A t-square and adjustable triangle would really make it easy.

or, if you can use any CAD software, (you can download lots of free stuff) you can do it and print out the results to scale.

Basically, you draw a circle of the diameter of your pipe divided into 15 degree wedges, and an elevation view with the correct cut angle, you can project those across a set of equally spaced segments that match the diameter of the pipe. cut on the wavy line, and you're ready to mark the pipe.

A little google can probably find an online tutorial.

/ Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #18  
I can send you a PDF file of a template if you want, and if you can print a PDF. I can't guarantee it will print to scale, not knowing what you use for software to print PDF files, but if it measures just over 9" long, then it should be to scale. I wold think Acrobat reader would be the best to print from.

/ Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #19  
I'd find a chunk of pipe that is a slip fit over your uprights, then on my bandsaw I'c cut some 4" to 6" long" slip collars. Slide the collars on and you will find that the fit to the I beam will be perfect. You can adjust collar height to get the roof perfectly level and square..... and then tack the bottoms of the collars in place on the upright pipe.
rScotty

/ Best way to cut pipe at an angle? #20  
Tan table. Readily available on the internet.
tangent(9°) = 0.15838tangent(25°) = 0.46631tangent(41°) = 0.86929
tangent(10°) = 0.17633

draw a straight line one inch long. Add A vertical line .15838 inches high. Connect the start of line to the top of vertical line and you will have a 9 degree angle. Lay it out larger on a piece of wide tape and wrap on the pipe to be cut.

For 9.5 degrees extrapolate between 9 and ten degrees.

Last edited: