Best way to remove all methanol from tires.

/ Best way to remove all methanol from tires. #1  

ljjhouser

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
I have methanol in my rear tires. I would like to remove it and use Rimguard instead. I know some are going to ask Why? I don't have enough ballast and it has become a problem. I work on my road hauling rock with the FEL. Then I spread it with the Box Blade, which weighs only 400 pounds. (too light). According to charts online, my tires - 17.5 x 24 will hold about 29 gal. at 40% fill. Methanol weights 7.8 pounds per gallon. If my math is correct, then 7.8 x 29 x 2 tires = liquid ballast --- Methanol 7.8 x 29 x 2 = 452 pounds. Rimguard - 10.7 x 29 x 2 = 620 pounds. About 168 gain. Looks like the cost of Rimguard is .28 a pound = $173 - acceptable and a little cheaper than wheel weights.

I see no problem doing this myself. I can bleed methanol off but the last couple gallons at the bottom below the stem. Any ideas? Hopefully other than removing the tire from the rim!

/ Best way to remove all methanol from tires. #2  
If you could get a narrow tube and a suction pump you may be able to insert the tube into the pool of methanol at the bottom and suck it out. You could also fill the tire with water to dilute the remaining methanol then drain the water. Done two or three times the residual methanol would become a non issue. A greater concern may be dealing with the methanol which would be considered hazardous waste. I thought alcohols were destructive to rubber so that may be a long term worry.

/ Best way to remove all methanol from tires.
If you could get a narrow tube and a suction pump you may be able to insert the tube into the pool of methanol at the bottom and suck it out. You could also fill the tire with water to dilute the remaining methanol then drain the water. Done two or three times the residual methanol would become a non issue. A greater concern may be dealing with the methanol which would be considered hazardous waste. I thought alcohols were destructive to rubber so that may be a long term worry.
I was thinking the same way. But I think it is highly flammable. I know water is added when putting it in, I just don't know how much water is usually added. Wonder if you could let it evaporate with no issues.

/ Best way to remove all methanol from tires. #4  
Should be mixed with water and no less safe than windshield washer fluid, for that is what it is. Usually at about 33% for -30f protection, which also means it weights closer to 8.15lbs per gallon.

/ Best way to remove all methanol from tires. #5  
Too bad they are not filled with ethanol. You could have one hell of a party.:)

Too bad they are not filled with ethanol. You could have one hell of a party.:)
Add flavor and invite the neighbots. don't have to dispose of it! Ha Drink out the stems.

/ Best way to remove all methanol from tires. #7  
Or just run a line from the valve stem to the intake manifold.

/ Best way to remove all methanol from tires. #8  
What is the drawback to just mixing the last little bit with Rimguard? They would not be volitile.

What is the drawback to just mixing the last little bit with Rimguard? They would not be volitile.
I was wonder about that also - if it was about 2 gal in each tire, it would reduce weight by 12 pounds. That might be the only option so save all the trouble. But if I could un-weight it and break the bead to get the rest out, I would. I would worry about the entire bead coming loose.

You might be right if a very small tube through the stem. Might work. I will think on that. It just hit me what you were saying. Thanks.

/ Best way to remove all methanol from tires. #10  
Fill your tires to 75%.
That takes it up to the top of the rim and still leaves room at the top for expansion & air.
And check again on the weight of the mix you have now.
I'm sure it is closer to a gal of automotive windshield washer fluid then straight methanol.