Best way to remove all methanol from tires.

/ Best way to remove all methanol from tires. #11  
For the last remanent liquid you can just blow some air into the tire and insert a small stiff tube into the pool of liquid through the valvestem as the air escapes. The air pressure will drive the liquid out through the tube.

/ Best way to remove all methanol from tires.
What is the drawback to just mixing the last little bit with Rimguard? They would not be volitile.
Just for information. I finally called a tire place and asked about the small amount of methanol left and would it mix with Rimguard . He told me no - that the methanol and water would make the Rimguard thick and more sticky. My tires are 17.5 x 24. He quoted me $58 a tire to break it down and wash the methanol out before installing the Rimguard - Charges $3.75 a gal for Rimguard - that figures to about .34 a pound. I will have to give it some thought.

/ Best way to remove all methanol from tires. #13  
Sounds like you simply need to add water and as LD48750 says fill up to at least 75% Percentage of mix depends on weather and where you keep your tractor. If you dont know just fill to 75% with adding washer fluid. Cheap fix. wont freeze

/ Best way to remove all methanol from tires. #14  
Why only 40%? ..... like others said, go to 75-80%. Put the valve at 12:00, fill away.... when you get to the 75%, the fluid would flow out of the valve easily.

Total should be around 54 gal per tire, approx 495 pounds per tire. Just use WW fluid. It will easily mix with the methanol. You can get 55 gal drums at auto parts stores for around $125 each.

The 100# difference between rimguard and WWF won't be noticeable After you add 500# per tire!

Whether it is 40% or 75%, Rimguard will always be heavier. I am in the Ozarks. Nothing is flat. Methanol is not heavy enough. And, being in the hills, I don't want any added weight above the axles. Both the manual and the dealer say to fill only to 40%. I am inclined to go as far as 50%, to the axles, but not above. At 50%, the difference between methanol and Rimguard is an added 180 pounds. Thanks, Larry

Last edited:
   / Best way to remove all methanol from tires. #16  
Whether it is 40% or 75%, Rimguard will always be heavier. I am in the Ozarks. Nothing is flat. Methanol is not heavy enough. And, being in the hills, I don't want any added weight above the axles. Both the manual and the dealer say to fill only to 40%. I am inclined to go as far as 50%, to the axles, but not above. At 50%, the difference between methanol and Rimguard is an added 180 pounds. Thanks, Larry

ljjhouser

Interesting point that in addition to added weight for traction you need to keep the weight low for stability on the hills/grades. So I see why the 40 percent fill is recommended. That is a great point. I like the others (likely flatlanders) see the 75 to 80 percent fill recommended for maximum weight add while leaving some room for air pressure over the liquid ballast.
Thanks Spanky

/ Best way to remove all methanol from tires. #17  
We dont have any flat ground so the tractor is working on inclines and declines. Tires are loaded with -20 washer fluid up to 70-80%.
tractor is very stable now. You have to remember the tires loaded do not add weight to the tractor itself. It does add to the footprint and ballast to lifting with the loader. The extra 20-30% above the axles is really not a issue.
If you are working in a environment where it does create a safety issue maybe you shouldnt be there to begin with or its the wrong equipment.

With the tires fully loaded we never add any ballast to the 3 point. The tractor can safely reach its max limit lifting without being unstable on the rear tires.

With the tires fully loaded we never add any ballast to the 3 point. The tractor can safely reach its max limit lifting without being unstable on the rear tires.
I have had my tractor for 4 years. The methanol installed by the dealer was 40%, as also shown in the manual. When doing road work with the box blade on the 3pt (400 added pounds), I need to use 4WD to carry a bucked of gravel because there was not enough traction on the rear tires. I changed the oil in the front axle and it was black. I would like to do the road work without using the front axle so much. This became an issue when last month I went down the road in 2wd - without the box blade and empty bucket. I had a 200 pound generator in the bucket. When I started down the hill ( as so many times before, I slide about 18 feet before I could get it stopped. According to my research, wiper fluid is a little lighter than water, Methanol is 7.8 per gal. and Rimguard is 10.9 per gal. By changing to 50% Rimguard, I should be at and additional 200 pounds in each tire. I am hoping that will help. It gets me closer to the weight you are using but not placing weight above the axle. That will make it about 400 a tire. By the way, by not flat, I mean Branson MO, Ozark Mountians. It does well using 4WD all the time. And I also believe insufficient ballast on any tractor is a safety issue -- anywhere. You have great ballast. That is great. I am working toward making the ballast needed for the work we do. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

/ Best way to remove all methanol from tires. #19  
Ballast for traction and wheel spacing for stability works on our hillside farm. Right combination for safe loader work. Didn’t know of the methanol/ rim guard incompatibility issue. Your tire guy best to clean and install new ballast. Good relationship building for the next time. Farm long enough there will be a next time.

Sloshing ballast in a 40% filled tire negates any center of gravity gains compared to 80% filled tire. It’s the dynamic forces that overturn tractors more than the static.

/ Best way to remove all methanol from tires. #20  
You want Rim Guard - let the dealer clean out the tires - install the Rim Guard. You are done - without any fiddling around and no safety issues. Any extra costs - spread out over the years you will own the tractor.

I've never heard to a 40% fill recommendation by a tractor manufacturer. I have a Kubota M6040 and my rear tires are filled with Rim Guard to the 75% - 80% level. It's what Kubota recommends in my Owners Manual. 1775 pounds of RG.