Best way to split 3'-4' boulder?

/ Best way to split 3'-4' boulder? #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
There's another thread going on about best way to dig 3' of bedrock. This is similar, but different enough that I didn't want to derail that one.

I have a (let's say 3'-4' diameter) boulder that got dug out when I built my barn. Not sure what type of stone, but seems pretty dense/hard. Excavator was able to roll it, I was able to push it against a tree with my 8000lb tractor and that's where it lies. I think that if I could split it in half, or more, I might be able to lift the sections with my FEL.

The other thread introduced me to Expanding Demolition Grout. Seems like a good option, but how do I drill holes and not end up spending $500 on a rock? When all I get is.... more rocks.

What type of drill? Type of bit? Bit diameter? How deep? How many holes? How far apart from each other?
Any way a homeowner can drill with a 1/2" electric drill? Would grout still work. Any experience? Guessing my chances are probably slim to none.
What do I need for a rock drill (or whatever)?

The Dexpan site (How to use Dexpan to break concrete or rocks easily?) say 1-1/2" bit, holes 1' apart, 80% to 90% of depth.
80% to 90% depth of a 3'-4' diameter bolder seems excessive and needs one heck of a bit.

Any way to cheat on the cheap? What's my options?

/ Best way to split 3'-4' boulder? #2  
All those products require bigger holes drilled with a hammer drill....

Think 1” holes which is a bigger drill. Just dig a hole a bury it if you don’t want to spend the money on it.

Edit- you can get wedges online
How to Cut and Shape Stones - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Best way to split 3'-4' boulder? #4  
Hydraulic or jack hammer?

/ Best way to split 3'-4' boulder? #5  
I had a brief stint with an old German stone mason as a teen. He could lay up the most beautiful fireplaces. Anyway, he had this "boneyard" he gathered from. He could take on a boulder that would fill (flatten) a pickup bed with his arsenal of sledges. He had a way of reading the grain then with a few whacks, make smaller and smaller more easily handled pieces.

I decided that mixing mud and hoofing rocks around was not for me, lol!

/ Best way to split 3'-4' boulder? #6  
Dexpan works, i drilled 1 inch holes in ledge rock 8 to 12 inches apart 20 inches deep. Over a 3ft area. Next day all cracked, 2 days later cracked even more. 3rd day i pulled it all apart by hand.
It really works. No mess minimal labor.

/ Best way to split 3'-4' boulder? #7  
Think outside the box (of rocks). Check with area landscapers and see if anybody wants to buy it. McMansion Folk with too much money like that sort of thing 'decorating' their front yard.

/ Best way to split 3'-4' boulder? #9  
Luckily, my land produces rocks, so I don't hafta buy em. :)

Mother Nature does a fine job of splitting rocks.

20190525_181637.jpg

/ Best way to split 3'-4' boulder?
This is the rock. Bigger than my original estimate.
5 gal bucket included in picture for scale.
IMG_3927.JPG
IMG_3928.JPG