Best wood splitter for the money

/ Best wood splitter for the money #41  
What, if any, wood splitting unit would be appropriate for my Branson 2400h? It is a very compact tractor with 22 hp at the PTO and 8.3 total GPM hydraulic flow (hydraulics split between tractor and accessories - somehow). Thanks.

One you tow from the hitch and has it own hydraulics and motor.

Otherwise any 3PH splitter will work, just very slowly unless you add a regen valve. But it will still be pretty slow in reverse

/ Best wood splitter for the money #42  
One you tow from the hitch and has it own hydraulics and motor.

Otherwise any 3PH splitter will work, just very slowly unless you add a regen valve. But it will still be pretty slow in reverse

That kind of GPM isn't going to power anything except very slowly. You need 6 or 7 GPM of implement pump flow to power even a basic log splitter, you probably only have 4 or 5 GPM going through the implement pump (loader, 3PTH, remotes, HST). A tow behind is the best bet.

As a side note, GPM is a very overlooked statistic, but very important. It really tells you what size your tractor is, especially on a HST tractor. GPM numbers were what first pushed me up to a CUT from a SCUT. You can't run a decent hydraulic implement unless you have 6 to 8 GPM on the implement (most tractors have 2 pumps, one for the power steering and one for everything else), which give 12 to 14 GPM total, which is about where my CK35 is (one of the reasons I bought it).

/ Best wood splitter for the money #43  
That kind of GPM isn't going to power anything except very slowly. You need 6 or 7 GPM of implement pump flow to power even a basic log splitter, you probably only have 4 or 5 GPM going through the implement pump (loader, 3PTH, remotes, HST). A tow behind is the best bet.

As a side note, GPM is a very overlooked statistic, but very important. It really tells you what size your tractor is, especially on a HST tractor. GPM numbers were what first pushed me up to a CUT from a SCUT. You can't run a decent hydraulic implement unless you have 6 to 8 GPM on the implement (most tractors have 2 pumps, one for the power steering and one for everything else), which give 12 to 14 GPM total, which is about where my CK35 is (one of the reasons I bought it).

Yes, I figured I would have to go external power - just trying to utilize the motor I have AND save money. I'm surprised that a small 200cc gas motor external unit can produce 10-20 tons whereas my tractor is not designed to utilize its 24hp diesel Cummins. Much thanks for the insight.

/ Best wood splitter for the money #44  
Yes, I figured I would have to go external power - just trying to utilize the motor I have AND save money. I'm surprised that a small 200cc gas motor external unit can produce 10-20 tons whereas my tractor is not designed to utilize its 24hp diesel Cummins. Much thanks for the insight.

If you want to utilize your tractors diesel power, all you have to do is buy a splitter that adds the hydraulic pump on your tractors pto...

BTW, the only thing that diesel has in common with Cummins, is the name...

SR

/ Best wood splitter for the money #45  

All that engine is powering is a hydro motor with one really big cylinder, the cylinder is what is really providing that force. Tractor engine is doing a lot more and the hydraulics are plumbed very differently.

/ Best wood splitter for the money #46  
The best splitter for the money is the Harbor Freight Predator 20 ton.

/ Best wood splitter for the money #48  
Why is that?

It is on sale for $650. It splits on the forward and return stroke, so it is pretty fast. It seems to be well built and it holding up good so far.

/ Best wood splitter for the money #49  
Flow rate is too low. You would be better off with a stand alone unit. I like the ones with the Honda engine.