Beware of Adobe Acrobat X (Version 10)

/ Beware of Adobe Acrobat X (Version 10) #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
I´ve been using Adobe Acrobat authoring software for a few years now to convert paper records into electronic ones and do other editing chores their reader can't do since it's free. I´ve been using version 8, and I figured it was time to upgrade to version X (10) as I like to keep within one to two versions of being current with any software I use on a regular basis.

First of all, if you are considering upgrading your Adobe Acrobat reader or authoring software to version X, think twice based on my experience.

1. With X I was unable to retrieve financial statements and other documents from at least one financial institution. Their tech support told me there are known issues with Acrobat X and Internet Explorer 8. They gave me some workarounds to try; but they did not solve the problem.

2. I encountered a similar problem when trying to print out Priority Mail postage from the USPS website. The USPS tech people have not responded.

3. If you work with multiple documents at the same time like I do, X opens each one in a new instance (window) thereby cluttering up your Windows taskbar tray. For the life of me I could not find a way to turn that annoying "feature" off like I easily can in version 8.

4. Adobe like other companies changed the toolbar icons again. Software such as this is a tool, not a shiny new car that needs freshening up to keep people coming in to buy the latest model.

5. I like the old fashioned toolbar at the top of the document window for navigation, etc and dislike the new self-hiding toolbar for basic navigation at the bottom of the page that appears if you put your mouse in the zone. I could not find a setting to make the old-school toolbar stay active from document to document, and web site to web site that opens PDF files in your browser window. To get the old-school toolbar to appear, one has to click the Acrobat symbol (Dunce cap) at the right of the self-hiding toolbar. That gets annoying real quick when one has to do that almost every time a document is opened.

6. Depending on the document I like to have the display set to 2-up that is essentially like looking at a book. Even if I set this display behavior to be the default setting for a document, scanning in additional pages kept setting it back to single page display.

7. Default scanning mode includes OCR (Optical Character Recognition), which is fine in theory; but makes the document bigger and slows the scanning process down. One has to pick Custom Scan to get around this "Feature" as I couldn't find a setting to turn OCR on/off by default.

8. Adobe has yet to fix an annoying little problem that has been ongoing for years in that if you insert a file, then click file insert again to delete, copy, rename the inserted file from disk as part of good file management, the file insert window sometimes refreshes itself, sometimes it doesn't leaving a user unaware of the bug that the file has indeed been deleted, renamed, or copied.

I'm sure there are more bugs to be found; but the first three I listed are show stoppers for me and I removed X today and put Version 8 back on. Sheila tells me they use Version 9 of the reader where she works and she hasn't mentioned any problems to me; however I'm going to stick with 8 until Version 11 comes out and hopefully Adobe will have fixed this defective pile of garbage software by then.

The PDF file format is fine; X's implementation of how to read, create, and edit PDF files is seriously screwed up.

The national retailer where I got my upgrade won't refund my money since I opened the box and installed it, which is in accordance with their policies. If the media were defective, they would replace it; but the DVD-ROM is fine and crap software falls into a gray area as to what defines defective. Wish me luck as I try to get Adobe to refund my money. Thank you software pirates for making honest people pay for their thieving habits.

Thanks for your time.

/ Beware of Adobe Acrobat X (Version 10) #2  
That does not make me a happy camper.. We just purchased Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection to install in several computers. I bet it has version X. I hope the other items in the Suite are not buggy, but I did have problems with Premier Pro in CS4.

/ Beware of Adobe Acrobat X (Version 10) #3  
I've yet to upgrade any software and not be annoyed with changes. That's just the way it is. Your title of "beware" is extremely misleading. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean there's serious problems with it.
Edit: For the record, I haven't used it. But from the title I expected a lot more than just user preference complaints.

Last edited:
   / Beware of Adobe Acrobat X (Version 10) #4  
For what it is worth, I dont like it either. But have no choice on the corporate machine.

James K0UA

/ Beware of Adobe Acrobat X (Version 10)
That does not make me a happy camper.. We just purchased Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection to install in several computers. I bet it has version X. I hope the other items in the Suite are not buggy, but I did have problems with Premier Pro in CS4.

Here's hoping you have better luck than I did.

I've yet to upgrade any software and not be annoyed with changes. That's just the way it is. Your title of "beware" is extremely misleading. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean there's serious problems with it.
Edit: For the record, I haven't used it. But from the title I expected a lot more than just user preference complaints.

Annoyed with changes is one thing; but show-stopping bugs is something else. I don't believe my title of "Beware" is misleading one bit. When I use a software package nearly every day to manage our personal records and I can't get financial statements the mutual fund company posts in PDF format, can't print out postage, etc; then that is a big deal that goes beyond annoyance.

I posted my experiences as a service to others; but the ultimate decision to use Acrobat X is up to each individual. I hope you have better luck than I did; but I'll now wait till version 11 and hope the bugs with X have been squashed.

An update, after spending a half-hour on hold, I got to speak with an American customer service agent for Adobe today, and they are going to refund my money. They were good to deal with, especially since I bought the upgrade from Newegg as they were $15 cheaper than Adobe and had free shipping. Newegg has a chicken-and-egg-came-first software policy. If you open it, you can't return it; but if you don't open it and install it you don't know if it works. Thank you software pirates for making honest peoples lives miserable. Now I just wait for the refund.

/ Beware of Adobe Acrobat X (Version 10) #6  
Thanks man for this very detail article. You have pinpoint some very key flaws.

/ Beware of Adobe Acrobat X (Version 10) #7  
An update, after spending a half-hour on hold, I got to speak with an American customer service agent for Adobe today, and they are going to refund my money. They were good to deal with, especially since I bought the upgrade from Newegg as they were $15 cheaper than Adobe and had free shipping. Newegg has a chicken-and-egg-came-first software policy. If you open it, you can't return it; but if you don't open it and install it you don't know if it works. Thank you software pirates for making honest peoples lives miserable. Now I just wait for the refund.
Newegg cannot ever guarantee a specific software will work with a specific user's system or configuration. I understand your frustration, but Newegg isn't selling you software guaranteed to be compatible with your system, or even to do certain things. They're selling you software guaranteed to be the software it's advertised to be....so when they sell you Adobe X and it IS actually Adobe X, they've met their obligation. Your issue should be with Adobe, not Newegg IMO.

Personally I appreciate your post. I was faced with this upgrade option a few days earlier, and in my usual caution decided to wait. Glad I did now.

/ Beware of Adobe Acrobat X (Version 10) #8  
I few years ago I started using Scribus for desktop publishing. It's a great free open source program. One of it's strongest features is pdf creation. You can create fully interactive pdf documents far easier than you can with Adobe's own products. It will import, export and even edit most pdfs. I use Adobe Acrobat very little now.

If you work with pdf's another must have program is Quick PDF Tools. Quick PDF will do automatic conversion from graphic files and to pdf's and pdf's to graphic formats. A real handy tool. They have a free version and a Pro version for purchase, I use the free version.

Scribus - Scribus.net

Quick PDF Tools — Preview PDF files, edit PDF properties, PDF security, merge PDF files and much more.

/ Beware of Adobe Acrobat X (Version 10) #9  
Just looked at the Scribus site and it indicates the windows version is for 32 bit OS. I recently moved to 64 bit Windows XP. Any knowledge of whether it will work with a 64 bit OS?

Thanks for the information....I use pdf files a lot. Mostly I've been using a Docudesk product.

/ Beware of Adobe Acrobat X (Version 10)
Newegg cannot ever guarantee a specific software will work with a specific user's system or configuration. I understand your frustration, but Newegg isn't selling you software guaranteed to be compatible with your system, or even to do certain things. They're selling you software guaranteed to be the software it's advertised to be....so when they sell you Adobe X and it IS actually Adobe X, they've met their obligation. Your issue should be with Adobe, not Newegg IMO.

Personally I appreciate your post. I was faced with this upgrade option a few days earlier, and in my usual caution decided to wait. Glad I did now.

My issue is with Adobe, and they said they will refund my money, which is all I want.

A poster on another tractor forum suggested FoxIt Foxit Software - Fast, High Quality PDF Software that I may look into. Another option I may look at is Nuance's products. Nuance - Home

I'll test drive before buying.

Although Adobe's Acrobat 8 has annoying quirks, they aren't show stoppers, and Acrobat X is the first release I've dealt with from Adobe that has been a major disappointment. It reminds me of the clusterfrak Autodesk had with AutoCAD 13, and to a lesser degree with 11 and 2009.