Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #81  
No car transmission that I've seen less <7.5" tall. You must have jacked it up.
Not that I recall. I had to drag it back towards the rear of the car to clear the front frame members, then dragged it out from under the car. I didn’t own jackstands or ramps back then. Maybe I dug a trench in the gravel. It’s been a long time. :oops:

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #82  
Not that I recall. I had to drag it back towards the rear of the car to clear the front frame members, then dragged it out from under the car. I didn’t own jackstands or ramps back then. Maybe I dug a trench in the gravel. It’s been a long time. :oops:
Thinking about it, I did it in my dad’s carport. Cement floor.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #83  
I put aftermarket cats, which have no expensive stuff in them, on the truck I bought.
I'm thinking of putting a sticker on the fenders saying
"Aftermarket Catalytic Converters.
No rare metals inside - no value"
Unfortunately, many of those cheapie aftermarket cats don't work very well. A mechanic friend said he's had to replace quite a few that DIY'ers put in because less than a year later check engine light again.
Can't afford to do it right, so you get to do it twice.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #84  
No car transmission that I've seen less <7.5" tall. You must have jacked it up.
I can attest to that. I had the Muncie transmission out of my '69 L78 Nova at least a dozen times while I had it. It's at least 10" tall any way you turn it, I just measured the one out of my '70 Nova in the shop.
The Saginaw 3 speeds are virtually the same case, just shorter.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #85  
I can attest to that. I had the Muncie transmission out of my '69 L78 Nova at least a dozen times while I had it. It's at least 10" tall any way you turn it, I just measured the one out of my '70 Nova in the shop.
The Saginaw 3 speeds are virtually the same case, just shorter.
Hmmm. Wonder how I got it out of there? Memory is a horrible thing to lose.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #86  
Unfortunately, many of those cheapie aftermarket cats don't work very well. A mechanic friend said he's had to replace quite a few that DIY'ers put in because less than a year later check engine light again.
Can't afford to do it right, so you get to do it twice.

That's the risk I take with aftermarket stuff.
A factory pipe with cats would be more than the truck was worth.
When I nought it there was a used factory pipe in the bed that the guy said was supposed to fit.
It didn't.
Pay your money, take your chances I guess.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #87  
I'm sure glad we have no emissions testing around here. Considering how many mufflers and converters wind up in the ditches around here, I suspect not many would pass the 'sniff' test.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #88  
I'm sure glad we have no emissions testing around here. Considering how many mufflers and converters wind up in the ditches around here, I suspect not many would pass the 'sniff' test.
No emission testing here either, but cats are kind of necessary if you want it to run right.
Or at least work without a check engine light on all the time.
Without the O2 sensors your mileage could go either way. Gas is what? $5/gal there?

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #89  
If you only have O2 sensors BEFORE the cat and none after it does not affect anything. Older vehicles often are set up like that.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #90  
No emission testing here either, but cats are kind of necessary if you want it to run right.
Or at least work without a check engine light on all the time.
Without the O2 sensors your mileage could go either way. Gas is what? $5/gal there?
$5.44 USD yesterday.