BH question

/ BH question #1  

Pixguy

Tractor
2011 MF 2410 TLB
Here are newbie Bh question(s)...... Have had my GC TLB for only 1 week with about 4 total hrs. life BH experience, so given that. Today I was digging a trench down an incline on the edge of new ledge-pak driveway in very rocky soil.

One problem I was having was the machine sliding when I was digging and trying to pry lg. rocks out. Was this inexperience, the outrigger pad should have been turn to the grab position, or both?

Another question is about switching back and forth between moving the machine and the BH. The seat is a pain to turn and I got to think that there has to be an easier way to drive the machine 6 feet than to change the seat?
Does everyone disconnect the safety switch and sit on the metal or make a temp seat to move the scut?:confused2:

Thanks in advance.

/ BH question #2  
One problem I was having was the machine sliding when I was digging and trying to pry lg. rocks out. Was this inexperience, the outrigger pad should have been turn to the grab position, or both?

These machines are very light weight, consequently you need to do your digging by curling the bucket. Then, pull the bucket towards you to fill it with the loosened material. When you master this technique, you will not have problems with the machine moving.

Another question is about switching back and forth between moving the machine and the BH. The seat is a pain to turn and I got to think that there has to be an easier way to drive the machine 6 feet than to change the seat?

Simply raise the outriggers and the FEL, then use the BH to pull the machine to your next spot.

Does everyone disconnect the safety switch and sit on the metal or make a temp seat to move the scut?:confused2:
Thanks in advance.

No, everyone does not disconnect the switch, but some do.

/ BH question #3  
I have a sponge mat that I put on the seat if I have to move. Alot better than sitting on the springs. I did jumper out the safety switch though, it's a pain in the ***. If you don't have your foot on the pedal, then it's gonna stop. I agree though, flipping the seat can be a PITA.

/ BH question
These machines are very light weight, consequently you need to do your digging by curling the bucket. Then, pull the bucket towards you to fill it with the loosened material. When you master this technique, you will not have problems with the machine moving.

Simply raise the outriggers and the FEL, then use the BH to pull the machine to your next spot.

No, everyone does not disconnect the switch, but some do.

I dug the trench and backed up, how would I "pull" to the next spot? Do you mean push or am I digging improperly?

/ BH question #5  
Rather than back up, extend out the bucket, put it in the ground, and pull the tractor backwards with the controls.

It sounds like you could really benefit from spending some time watching an experienced operator work.

/ BH question
Rather than back up, extend out the bucket, put it in the ground, and pull the tractor backwards with the controls.

It sounds like you could really benefit from spending some time watching an experienced operator work.

Thanks Ray, I'm sure that would help! :thumbsup: It would have been good if the salesman gave some service after the sale.

Working on a decline, I have always lowered the loader and set the E-Brake, so i'm not sure if that allows the pulling?

After reading the 29 pages of Wacky's experience earlier this summer and what can happen on hills, I want to take my time learning.

Bill

/ BH question #7  
Thanks Ray, I'm sure that would help! :thumbsup: It would have been good if the salesman gave some service after the sale.

Working on a decline, I have always lowered the loader and set the E-Brake, so i'm not sure if that allows the pulling?

Bill

I would not necessarily use the Parking brake in that situation, but yes, you could have it engaged and lift the wheels enough to allow the machine to move.

If your a novice, I would not recommend you practice this, or any operations, on a hill. As you know, lots of things can happen. If you panic and put in the wrong input, you can quickly find your self in a dangerous situation.

If you must operate on an incline, for now, I suggest you continue to drive the tractor.

As you become more experienced, you will dig without thinking about it. Then, you can react quickly, and properly, in the event of a problem.

As far as the seat being a pain, many of these seats are not well aligned. Which can make raising, and lowering it, a pain.

If your seat is hard to operate, it could probably use some tweaking.

The alignment pin, and the hole, should match up precisely, when it closes down. If they do not, the hole can be slightly enlarged. Or, when the seat is up, you can put a long bar just under the seat, through the supports, and twist them very slightly in the direction needed, to get the pin and hole to match up. It should not take much to do so.

Occasional adjustment may be necessary to assure smooth operation.

When the seat works like it is supposed to, it is very easy to raise, or lower.

If your not mechanically inclined, you may want to consult with someone who is experienced, rather than attempt adjustment yourself.

/ BH question #8  
Regarding operator position while using the BH, I often just sit on top of the seat back instead of turning the seat around. I'm 6' tall, so I have to bend over a bit to have my head miss the ROPS bar when sitting on the seat back, but for short stints it's tolerable.

Curling the bucket to loosen material is great. But if you must pull with the dipper stick with some force, as in when you want to scratch the surface over a large area just to loosen it, then chocking the rear wheels can help. Ditto for operating on a hill. Placing and removing the chocks is another thing to do, but they can be very helpful (and reassuring on a hill).

/ BH question #9  
I flip my front bucket around so it digs the blade into the ground and it holds me pretty stable, does tear up ground tho. If I am just doin a little digging or just grabbin something I just turn halfway in the seat or put one knee in the drivers seat instead of getting in backhoe seat.
:2cents:
Rick

/ BH question #10  
After reworking the seat on my 2310 I can change from one position to the other and back in under 6 sec. Some where years ago I wrote what I did. But aligning things helps a bunch.

Doug
Speedy Seat