Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop
#4,751  
An acquaintance who frequents estate and garage sales had this sawyer's anvil for sale....

IMG_5541.jpg

so I grabbed it. 72 pounds, 4"x6" face and 95% rebound. It cleaned up nicely ...

IMG_5568.jpg

I also bought this Craftsman branded Kennedy 7 drawer machinist chest.

IMG_5553.jpg

and these three vintage dental cabinets ...

IMG_5532.jpg

#4,752  
I picked up these two little sheet metal or silversmith hammers a few weeks back.

Today I replaced the handle on the smaller one (zebra wood ) and dressed the heads.

I usually rub the handles with linseed or tung oil.

IMG_5583.jpg

IMG_5584.jpg

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,753  
Big Barn wrote;
so I grabbed it. 72 pounds, 4"x6" face and 95% rebound. It cleaned up nicely ...

What is 95% rebound?

#4,754  
@bigtiller rebound is an indication of an anvil face's hardness in conjunction with mass.

Good rebound or "return" is arguably related to less stress for the smith at the end of a long day swinging a heavy hammer.

If I drop a 1" ball bearing from a height of 10 inches and it bounces back to 9.5" that would be 95% rebound and considered very good.

IMG_5593.jpg

IMG_5591.jpg

My concrete shop floor affords approximately 20% rebound whereas this 300 pound I -beam records a dismal 10%.

IMG_5592.jpg

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,755  
Thanks for the explanation.
If I had a 1" ball bearing, I know what I would be doing for entertainment tomorrow.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,756  
So what is a sawyer's anvil and how is it used differently than a regular anvil? And why is the rebound so poor on that giant slab o' steel?

#4,757  
The original sawyer anvils were used to forge saw blades but later were used to put a slight surface tension in a circular saw blade.

Tension was put into the saw blade with a hammer while cold.

Poor rebound on my I-beam would be indicative of a lower quality steel.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,758  
Just cold working the surface to add a bit of work hardening?

And of course we all eagerly await your first forged saw blade :D

#4,759  
I got another hammer today. It's quite unusual. Looks like it could be used as a pipe wrench also.

IMG_5739.jpg

Ridgid 10" Raprench

IMG_5742.jpg

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,760  
My friend's MAC wrenches are no better than my Craftsman wrenches when used as hammers. I do not know about pipe wrenches.

-not serious Ducky

Last edited: