Big goosenecks

/ Big goosenecks #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I am in the market for a big gooseneck. Probably a 20'+5' dove tail with dual 12,000lb axles. I will be hauling a machine that will weigh 16-17k all over the place as well as possible short moves of a 17-18k backhoe.

It seems big Tex is the only manufacturer I can find that keeps 12k axle equipped trailers in stock. All the others have dual 10k axles but they rate their trailers at 25k saying part of the load is transferred to the truck which is true but if the trailer weighs 6-7k and you add 16-18k that would be be up to 5k pin load which sure seems like a lot.

I figure the 12k axles would let me put most the weight on the trailer and only 3k or so on the truck?

Anyone have experience with trailers of this size?

/ Big goosenecks #2  
This is a 20+5... I would encourage you to get at least 2 more feet on the deck. Very difficult to get the proper tie down angles on this short of a deck. Two 10 K axles are a little light for your application. You'll also want 12~14 ply tires for your weight.

DSC04541_rs.jpg

/ Big goosenecks #3  
What kind size of truck are you towing it with?

/ Big goosenecks #4  
I have a 28' Fleetneck built by Diamond C that I've had since 12/98. Diamond C Trailers I had it built with 12,000# axles. I've re-floored and painted it twice since I've had it. No problems with the trailer, only regret is that I should have made it at least 32'. I compared these with the Big Tex and the Fleetneck was a much better finished trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_1343.JPG
    IMG_1343.JPG
    705.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1344.JPG
    IMG_1344.JPG
    724 KB · Views: 257
   / Big goosenecks #5  
One of the ideas behind the goose is the fact that you can transfer more weight onto the truck without making it crazy unstable like a bumper pull would be.

If you've got the axle rating and combined tire rating, load it up.

/ Big goosenecks #6  
rule of thumb for tongue weights

bumper pull - 10=15%
GN/5th wheel 15-20%

20K trailer would @ 15% would be 3K so Ya i would expect the manufacture to "allow" 3-5K pin weights in there designs.

/ Big goosenecks #7  
rule of thumb for tongue weights

bumper pull - 10=15%
GN/5th wheel 15-20%

20K trailer would @ 15% would be 3K so Ya i would expect the manufacture to "allow" 3-5K pin weights in there designs.

/ Big goosenecks
This is a 20+5... I would encourage you to get at least 2 more feet on the deck. Very difficult to get the proper tie down angles on this short of a deck. Two 10 K axles are a little light for your application. You'll also want 12~14 ply tires for your weight.

View attachment 447764

What is mounted on that vibroseis buggy? Can't really tell from
the pictures but it looks like the plate is missing and some sort of rack is on the top.

There is only two things I will haul with the trailer. A rubber tracked crawler which is only 14' long bumper to bumper and the backhoe tie down points are away from the ends due to the loader and hoe.

I have pondered getting it longer but that just adds weight and I am already close to what I feel is a safe limit.

/ Big goosenecks
What kind size of truck are you towing it with?

2016 GMC duramax 3500 dually. My rear axle is rated for 9,375 lbs so I can likely take the pin weight and be well within specs. The manufacturers suggested tow capacity is around 23-24k I believe so I will right at or above the limit with the backhoe and below it with the other machine. I should be well under all tire, axle and GVWR limits.