Big or small what does it all?

/ Big or small what does it all? #11  
My little Kubota B7100 has to all that you have planned on but the area is 68 acres. :D :D :D

I'd recommend the Kubota B7800 with Backhoe as that is the machine I would like to have.:D

/ Big or small what does it all? #12  
I would have to agree with Tomd999's recommendation. For what you have in mind you will be kicking the snot out of a SCUT. The SCUT will be able to do alot of what you want, it's just when you get to the heavier digging, landscaping & moving / lifting of heavy large rocks.

Note that although you can dig to a certain depth with a FEL (approx 6" to 12") it's not very effective. Would need a backhoe to do any serious digging. To do any serious landscaping, digging etc, you need a heavier tractor.

I am currently using a 35HP tractor that weighs in close to 4,000 lbs when I include my counterweight on the back. The tractor performs beautifully for loader work & plowing. However, I am also right in the middle of a Project of moving large rocks for landscaping. Anywhere from 500 lbs to 6,000 lbs. Well, the capacity of the FEL is no where near what I need for this. So I ended up getting forks for the 3PH. Even here, after I subtract the weight of the forks I can only lift 1,600 lbs. The rock is sandstone so your getting quite a bit of rock for the weight. When you start looking at other rock (especially granite) your only looking at anywhere from 50 to 70% of the rock size for the same weight. So depending upon what kind of rock you have on your property, you may be surprised how heavy it is.

As the big three are priced much higher & generally have less lift capacity & weight, I would strongly consider a Kioti or Mahindra which offer much beefier tractors for the same size & have better lift capacity. The MT265B you were first looking at actually would do you very nicely. You know what they always say, go with your first instincts.

Buying power is always (normally) an issue & granted, implements are more bucks for larger size tractors. But if you go with a little more tractor now, & buy some of the other implements down the road I think you will obviously have a much more capable tractor & be happier in the long run.

Good Luck,

Vic

/ Big or small what does it all? #13  
As other have said a SCUT is way too small for your tasks. Personally I would go at least 25 if not 30 hp and get a backhoe. Brand would not matter to me. I don't give a hoot about hydro and would easily go without for more tractor. PS I've been on tractors for over 40 years, curently own 3 and have never had a hydro. I used them but to me it is just something that I don't need.

Andy

/ Big or small what does it all? #14  
Don't get hung up on the arbitray designations of SCUT and CUT. Instead compare the tractors directly including the various specifications. And decide on what's important to you. Bigger is frequently better but not always. Smaller tractors fit into tighter spaces and require less space to store. Lower cost of the tractor can mean more money available for attachments.

We recently compared a Kubota BX2350 (labeled a SCUT) and a Kubota B7510HSD (labeled a CUT). The dealer wanted about $1500 more for the B7510 than for the BX2350. They were surprisingly similar in a many aspects. The B7510 is listed as 7 inches longer, slightly narrower, taller with higher ground clearance, and 77 lbs heavier than the BX2350. I suspect a considerable portion of the weight difference is in the larger tires. The larger diameter tires and higher ground clearance probably make the B7510 more suitable for rough ground. The B7510 also has considerbly greater three point hitch lift capacity and the Front End Loader capacity is somewhat greater than the BX2350.

/ Big or small what does it all? #15  
rdbrumfield said:
In clay I use a tiller to soften up the soil before digging, goes much faster and is easier on the tractor.

:D Exactly one reason why I bought a BX1500 with a front blade and a rear tiller in November of last year.
Now I can push the tilled dirt with the front blade or haul it away with the BX23 FEL depending on what I want to do with the dirt and where it's going.
Also the tilled up fine dirt works much better for landscaping projects.:D

/ Big or small what does it all? #16  
Don't forget to shop for the dealer as much as you shop for the brand! If you are not limited by space, and it doesn't sound like you are, I would stick with something in the compact size. A sub is nice with a mid mount mower and smaller tasks and many will argue that they can do anything a larger tractor can, but you will spend much more time doing it! In many cases, that isn't a problem for folks that really have the time and enjoy seat time. I'd rather be on a tractor than watching TV. I don't like the word second tier because some think of a second tier as less quality, but you may find you can get more for you money by shopping outside of the big names. Also, find out who actually built it, not who has their name on it! You may find a brand that isn't as well known, but on a component level, is build by very big names and you may find an established brand tractor, is built by someone you never heard of.

Lastly, most folks keep tractors forever so what is more important than the bottom line buying price, is that what you buy will suit your needs and that the cost of ownership, not just purchase, is where you need it to be. A very expensive way to buy a tractor is to have your needs met only when you trade the bad choice in for the right choice!

Best of luck looking,
Ken

/ Big or small what does it all? #17  
Perhaps these pictures will help you visualize what rocks weigh, compared to a sub cut's ability to lift them.

In the first picture, the pile on the left was at the very maximum of what I could lift with the BX22, and the pile on the right are rocks that were comfortably handled by the BX.

In the second picture, the rocks pushed against the stone wall were rocks that I was able to dig out (with patience) with the backhoe, but couldn't lift. They were pushed, or rolled to their resting place.

In the third picture is an elm stump that I dug out with the backhoe in a few hours.... yes, hours. Roots are very tough and an 1" plus root can put up a surprising amount of resistance.

One thing to remember here is that because it is possible to do these things with a sub cut, it has to be done carefully, and it's at the limit of what these machines are capable of. In the long term, you don't want to be using any machine at it's limits. That is why I sold the BX..... it's too tempting to try things that you really should have a bigger machine for. We should strive to look at what is comfortable for a machine to do rather than what it is possible to do with one.

Edit: I added the fourth picture since it shows the largest rocks handled with the loader better.

Attachments

• Ocean Storm 2007 002.jpg
    Ocean Storm 2007 002.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 252
  • Battlefield.jpg
    Battlefield.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 242
  • Loater Elmstump1.jpg
    Loater Elmstump1.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 225
  • Ocean Storm 2007 001.jpg
    Ocean Storm 2007 001.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 233
   / Big or small what does it all? #19  
Now you fellows have gone and embrassed my little Kubota. :mad: :mad:

The little mule definetly objects on size limitations and insists I show you pictures of rocks that have been moved!:D :D :D

Attachments

• F1000010.jpg
    F1000010.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 250
  • F1000019.jpg
    F1000019.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 219
   / Big or small what does it all? #20  
Egon, you have done some nice looking work on your land with that tractor. It sure has moved a lot of rocks! Do you have power steering? There is a B7100 available used locally, and it's a nice looking tractor. That B7800 you like the looks of could get a workout there too!