Big Tex 20 plus 5 deck material

/ Big Tex 20 plus 5 deck material #21  
I am not sure what you are asking, but the aluminum in question is used in the semi-truck industry. I bought a whole flatbed trailer many years ago, and had some left over (see center section with 1" drop).
I purchased more from a semi-trailer repair shop to add to what I had.
David from jax
What kind of $$ per are you talking about?

/ Big Tex 20 plus 5 deck material
I paid $550 for a 40 ft flatbed, with a guy wanting to buy it immediately. He removed the aluminum and paid me $550 for the trailer without the aluminum. I used most of the aluminum, except for one 13' x 36" piece of the drop center. I purchased a bunch of new pieces,...but drops from a trailer repair place, have less than $500 in them, with some still left over.
I have about $150 in stainless fasteners, so in reality I don't have nearly as much in it as I would have if I had bought new lengths from Alcoa!
I pulled one of the pieces I had used on an ugly dump trailer we built in order to have enough for the center piece.
Matching all the pieces to fit with the least number of splices was the biggest problem.(puzzle!!)
I don't know what the weight savings ended up being because I didn't have a before weight. I am sure it is a noticeable amount. I am also sure that the floor will be slick if I spill oil on it, or if I try to load in the rain.
David from jax

Used telephone poles are usually free or very cheap. Can be cut and used for trailer decking. Seen it done many times!
The old Creosote poles were not good for your lungs if you are sawing them into planks. Make sure you have a serious fan blowing downwind to your worst neighbor!
David from jax

/ Big Tex 20 plus 5 deck material #25  
I paid $550 for a 40 ft flatbed, with a guy wanting to buy it immediately. He removed the aluminum and paid me $550 for the trailer without the aluminum. I used most of the aluminum, except for one 13' x 36" piece of the drop center. I purchased a bunch of new pieces,...but drops from a trailer repair place, have less than $500 in them, with some still left over.
I have about $150 in stainless fasteners, so in reality I don't have nearly as much in it as I would have if I had bought new lengths from Alcoa!
I pulled one of the pieces I had used on an ugly dump trailer we built in order to have enough for the center piece.
Matching all the pieces to fit with the least number of splices was the biggest problem.(puzzle!!)
I don't know what the weight savings ended up being because I didn't have a before weight. I am sure it is a noticeable amount. I am also sure that the floor will be slick if I spill oil on it, or if I try to load in the rain.
David from jax
Thanks

I was thinking that it might be slick at times like you mentioned.

/ Big Tex 20 plus 5 deck material #26  
I re-decked my gooseneck last year with PT pine, I put 2 coats of used hydraulic fluid and diesel fuel mix and that will be to do every year to make it last, but you are one and done with yours.
20230927_093524.jpg
20230928_144011.jpg

/ Big Tex 20 plus 5 deck material #27  
I think one thing to do to make your wood trailer deck is to park it where the sun will keep it dry and free of leaves.

My trailer was new in 2003 and still has the original wood decking. I have a buddy that has a trailer that was re-decked about 10 years ago and he has holes in it from rotting wood. His is parked in a shady area and likely has leaves on it often holding moisture in the wood.

/ Big Tex 20 plus 5 deck material #28  
Also, if you do use Pressure Treated wood, be aware of the different preservatives that are used: CCA, ACQ, MCA and I think there's one more. Some are more corrosive than others and may need special fasteners. ACQ in particular is the most corrosive of the bunch and hot dipped galvanized (or ones labeled for ACQ which may also have a ceramic coating) should be used.
This. CCA was ideal, but at least around here, you can't buy it anymore. ACQ will eat your trailer cross-members, and the fasteners too!

White oak is a good choice around here, since there are local mills who can mill it to any thickness. There are some great African hardwoods used for decking, cheaper than white oak, but good luck finding them in anything but 5/4 thickness.

If you can find CCA SYP, that'd be a slam dunk, but I wouldn't even know where to look, anymore.

edit: Nevermind, just saw you went with Aluminum. Maybe this will be useful for the next guy, tho.

That should be a lifetime floor.
I hope so, which is why I decided to go that direction. I had put 2 of the 13' long pieces on my Ugly Dump Trailer with a piece of treated wood between them, and the wood rotted out while the aluminum still held up. Was thinking about the easiest way to replace that strip of wood when the Big Tex trailer floor gave way, and it has priority. I pulled one piece from the Ugly Dump Trailer, so now I have to re-figure out a floor for it.
David from jax

I think one thing to do to make your wood trailer deck is to park it where the sun will keep it dry and free of leaves.

My trailer was new in 2003 and still has the original wood decking. I have a buddy that has a trailer that was re-decked about 10 years ago and he has holes in it from rotting wood. His is parked in a shady area and likely has leaves on it often holding moisture in the wood.
This trailer is also a 2003, and has been redecked once already by previous owner. I doubt it has ever been parked anywhere close to a roof!
I needed a larger bush hog and purchased a package deal that netted me a Bush Hog 3008. Came with enough stuff that I had to get owner to deliver the trailer loaded, and I pulled a 30' that was loaded to the max also! When my Wife gets on board with me buying a bigger Bush Hog, I get as much stuff as possible! That BH 3008 only cost me $35k! However it did come with a trailer, a Kubota M7040, loader, bucket, grapple, forks, and a 15' batwing mower, lol!
David from jax