Bigger HST machines.

/ Bigger HST machines. #41  
Not sure why you are trying so hard to convince me that HST is so terrible. I have mowed thousands of acres with a shuttle and thousands with a HST. HST wins hands down. The gear machine would do nothing but slow me down and wear me out shifting constantly
I guess it's the same way you're trying to convince everyone how a Gear transmission is so terrible and how hard is to change gears.

Looks like Kubota still doesn't offer a 12x12 transmission on their geared tractors? Most of the other manufacturers will offer a 12x12 and some will offer a 16x16. It's plenty enough, specially for mowing. If you really end up having to slow down, you can simply back off the throttle a little bit and won't change the cut whatsoever.

Anyways, we're not afraid of using a clutch on this side of the pond and it's not a big deal to change gears. We use it everyday, all day long and I haven't heard of anyone losing a left leg because they used a clutch all day long.

• Good Post
Reactions: mo1
   / Bigger HST machines. #42  
How much power to you think a HST trans is robbing to drive a tractor across the ground? A bare bones gear tractor with a dry clutch and only 4 gears with a hi/low would have no chance at beating his HST at the job he’s doing.
On flat ground? I would say somewhere between 15% and 25%. On a slight hill? Probably 20 to 35%. And all of this with a lot of whine under the seat.

If I'm wrong then, go over the threads with people say that the tractor can barely move in high range on a flat surface. Why pay for the high range on a HST? Might as well just pay less and have only low and medium range.

Last edited:
   / Bigger HST machines. #43  
On flat ground? I would say somewhere between 15% and 25%. On a slight hill? Probably 20 to 35%. And all of this with a lone of whine under the seat.

If I'm wrong then, go over the threads with people say that the tractor can barely move in high range on a flat surface. Why pay for the high range on a HST? Might as well just pay less and have only low and medium range.
Yeah, this HST efficiency topic seems to come up about every month or so. Funny thing is the claims don't change, but the facts don't either.

/ Bigger HST machines.
On flat ground? I would say somewhere between 15% and 25%. On a slight hill? Probably 20 to 35%. And all of this with a lot of whine under the seat.

Not trying to convince anyone that gears are terrible. They have their place. Just not in my stable for a mowing machine. I already fight issues with my left knee.

There is no doubt a gear/shuttle will do the job and do it fine. But for what I do....HST is better and more efficient. Meaning I can mow faster and more acres per hour. If for nothing else it's ability to change speed and direction so quickly.

If you like mowing with a gear, great, I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise. This thread was not meant to be a HST vs gear debate. It was simply meant to ask of there were others such as myself that would buy a HST machine if offered in the next size up....and whether anyone knew if it was on the scope of an manufactures future plans.

You and others took it upon yourselves to interject in my post about how bad HST is and trying to convince me a gear is the way to go. Again, NOT what this post is about. But kudos to you for trying to push me in that direction even though it's a futile endeavor

/ Bigger HST machines. #45  
The thread is not about Gear vs HST? Really? So you were expecting anything else from this thread? Because I sure didn't expect any other outcome.

/ Bigger HST machines. #46  
I'm probably a similar sort of oddball then, because an HST in the 70 to 100HP range does make sense to me for certain types of tasks (especially if the manufacturer have enough sense to leverage a higher flow to the remote valves).

While an HST may not be optimal for draft work there are a lot of other tasks where having the 3PT, PTO, and loader on a larger frame tractor makes a lot of sense. Granted on some farms a lot of those tasks are currently being performed by skidsteers, telehandlers or other hydrostatic machines (potentially in the same weight range as 70-140HP tractors).

Really what would be ideal is a tractor in that HP range with a fully mechanical drive train to the PTO, but hydraulic drive to the wheels. Something that's less a tractor for pulling things and more a "PTO on wheels"
I am not aware of any "tractor" that does not have a mechanical drive for the pto.
I guess I should temper that a bit some of the JD Tractor Loaders that didn't get the backhoe part of the TLB did offer an optional hydraulic driven pto.
So I should say any "ag" style tractor.

/ Bigger HST machines. #47  
The thread is not about Gear vs HST? Really? So you were expecting anything else from this thread? Because I sure didn't expect any other outcome.
That happens a lot here. People can't separate their personal preferences from the original question. LD is dead correct that it begs the question in the first place. They make bulldozers with hydraulic drives for seven sakes.
The question was: does anyone here have inside info of subsequent tractors that are of larger frame coming out with HST?
LD, I will ask my connections w Mahindra. Give me a minute.

/ Bigger HST machines. #48  
I am not aware of any "tractor" that does not have a mechanical drive for the pto.
I guess I should temper that a bit some of the JD Tractor Loaders that didn't get the backhoe part of the TLB did offer an optional hydraulic driven pto.
So I should say any "ag" style tractor.
yeah, about the only machine(s) I know of that uses/used(?) hydraulic drive to a PTO on the factory-built machine are the Bobcat Toolcats - and some of the newer cultivating/weeding tractors where the PTO is optional and it uses a hydraulic motor.

Though with as many different tractor manufactures and as many models as there are I figured it'd be worth just stating what is desired ...particularly when the phrase "robs power from the PTO" is being used since that phrase almost makes it seem like the power being sent to the hydraulic pump(s) vs. PTO isn't the outcome a deliberate engineering decision.

For some of types of work being discussed, it'd almost be about as fair to say that the drive to the wheels (whether gear or HST) is robbing power from the PTO :cautious: ...especially if/when the engine speed changes to hit a certain required/needed ground speed.

/ Bigger HST machines. #49  
LD, Mahindra makes this tractor in HST:
1624111196333.png

It is the 2660 and is of TYM product manufacture and bare tractor weight is 4145 lbs. New_2600_Brochure_FINAL_2.pdf

Last edited:
   / Bigger HST machines. #50  
Fair enough @LD1 . My only suggestion is that you spell out the fact that you are not at all interested in a gear tractor for the reasons you waited until a much later post to specify. If I see anything new in the pipeline for utility HST tractors I will definitely reach out!