Bigger HST machines.

/ Bigger HST machines. #91  
Where did I say I wanted a 7060 that weighs the same as a MX? Putting words in my mouth makes you look foolish. As does the notion of modifying a semi air-ride system to put on a tractor that has ZERO suspension movement
So my summary was based on this, sorry if I misunderstood. Now with the truck air ride..yes that was just me being foolish.

In post #1 you mentioned a 5075e deere, which is in the same class as the M7060. You also mentioned Kubota M specifically in that post.

In post #75 you stated again the longing for a M or 50 series machine due to the front end, and you said you dont want an 8000# tractor. You also said the MX size is perfect in this very same post.

The irony here is I probably have the closest to what you want. 62hp HST.

Last edited:
   / Bigger HST machines. #92  
Basically combines the hydrostatic with the geared, in order to get the speed change of the hydro and the efficiency of the gear.

Doesn't the OP's tractor combine hydrostatic with a gear transmission? Albeit in a less efficient manner than the current lineup of hydromechanical transmissions.

/ Bigger HST machines. #93  
I believe someone above already suggested this but just to re-iterate in case it got lost in the din.

You might consider Antonio Carroro machines. Lot's of HP choices, HST, and not too heavy to be trailered. Has the additional benefit, if a reversible model, to allow you to run the mower out front. Vision is great on these. Can be had with cab, air ride seat, will work steep slopes wonderfully, articulation of the machine really improves the ride. Downsides are cost and no loader.

There are manufactures that make 50-100HP machines with HST.

/ Bigger HST machines. #94  
The fact is that gear tractors are going away. Maybe not soon but they are going to fade away just like manual transmissions in vehicles. first it was cars and pickups. Now getting a stick in a semi is getting harder. The old farmers are dying off and the younger ones taking over are more open to not dealing with shifting or clutches. Even power reversers are going to be mated to some sort of stickless transmission.

Let's face it. Gear was king because they were cheap and mostly bullet proof. Nobody put a computer into a tractor. Operators just expected to spend the day pushing in a clutch and shifting gears. Lots of things have gone by the wayside. Manual windows in cars and AC being optional. We as consumers have grown accustom to spending more money. I expect in 10 years we'll see a form of hydraulically controlled automatic shifting transmission that will operate just like HST in the 50hp to 100hp tractor range. You'll just control the speed with a pedal, like HST, or a lever. It'll be independent of engine speed so the PTO can be ran at speed without impacting tractor speed.

It just makes sense since driverless vehicles are slowly becoming a thing. That also is going to doom manually shifting gears.
All you are describing is the automated power shifts with a reverser,
or the IVT/CVT transmissions.
The simplest explanation for most of the IVT/CVT transmission are multi speed power shift combined with a very limited hydrostat unit.

/ Bigger HST machines. #95  
My Grandpa got his self an old semi tractor
He lived in the sand country so for tires he
would wire them over the old tires and pretty
soon the tires were about 2 feet wide. He
never got stuck or complained about a bumpy
ride and never had to put air in the tires:D
It was a diesel don't remember how many gears
but almost all the farm work was done with this
tractor plus he also had a team of horses very
big ones sure glad they never stepped on my
foot! In the old days you made do with what
you had as people didn't have much money.
Back in the 40's you got coupons for so many
gallons of gas and pop had this model A Ford
and because kerosene was cheap did not need
coupons to get it he would start the old Ford on
gas then switch over to kerosene just so he could get to work. It run very hot and we had this old oak tree that when he came home part the Ford up against the oak tree turn off the key and it would bounce around for a few then quit.

willy

/ Bigger HST machines.
It doesn't sound like you need more horse power and it doesn't sound like you need more weight. Just bigger tires for a smoother ride. So install larger tires on your present tractor. You can go wider or taller or both if you want. As long as you maintain the front to rear ratio with the four wheel drive it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited to add that yes radial tires would defiantly improve the ride. As for a specific rim have one made. There are company's that do that or a competant machine shop can make a center for an existing rim. I would not install r-4's though. They are about the roughest riding tire available at this point.
I could go an inch bigger at the very max. So not really worthwhile even if I could match ratios. Rear fenders, loader brackets, etc get in the way. It's already pretty close.

/ Bigger HST machines. #97  
The reason I don't get a larger mower is because 90% of my jobs are 5 acres of less. This is a part of my business. I mow overgrown lawns that someone's mower broke and now it's too much for a riding mower....or 5 acre tracts of land that were farm fields a year or two prior and now needs the weeds knocked down to survey/stake the property for building/septic approval.

I see. Unless I missed something (which I very well may have) I thought/presumed you were cutting a single tract of land. I missed the above. I'm afraid I don't have anything to offer.

/ Bigger HST machines. #98  
Doesn't the OP's tractor combine hydrostatic with a gear transmission? Albeit in a less efficient manner than the current lineup of hydromechanical transmissions.
Yes, all conventional tractors that have a hydro transmission also have a gear transmission. They just call it a "range selector" It is a 2 or 3 speed straight gear transmission without synchronizers. The only ones I know of that don't are the little lawn and garden tractors which are a single speed with hydro.

/ Bigger HST machines. #99  

Yes, all conventional tractors that have a hydro transmission also have a gear transmission. They just call it a "range selector" It is a 2 or 3 speed straight gear transmission without synchronizers. The only ones I know of that don't are the little lawn and garden tractors which are a single speed with hydro.
Yes, the hydro has a set of ranges. What I was saying, since me and Rick were discussing the Vario setup, is that the Vario transmission used on the Fendt tractors, combines both hydro and mechanical transmission using a set of planetary gears. It still has two ranges available.

Check out how a Vario transmission works:

/ Bigger HST machines. #100  
Probably the same/similar as the Vario but also a good video of how these work.