BIY tooth bar - CRS/Mild Steel ok? abbrasive resistant metal a must?

/ BIY tooth bar - CRS/Mild Steel ok? abbrasive resistant metal a must? #21  

CRS/Mild Steel ok? abbrasive resistant metal a must?​

For all day every day, you better have AR500 or Hardox etc.. But for once in a while around the farm? Pretty much whatever you can lay hand to will probably do just fine.

/ BIY tooth bar - CRS/Mild Steel ok? abbrasive resistant metal a must? #22  
Pre covid, I got a Piranha brand tooth bar.. This before the prices, duty, taxes and all made all manor of implements as expensive as they are today.. Besides availability problems many have had getting tools.. I got it primarily to provide ware protection for the cutting edge of my bucket.. As many have said, it does work well with the small amount of digging I have had to do..

If the Piranha bar had not been available, my plan was to do a DIY, homemade version out of hot rolled steel.. It would not have the life of other products, but would be easy and cheap enough to replace as needed...
My 5 cents of experience and opinion..

/ BIY tooth bar - CRS/Mild Steel ok? abbrasive resistant metal a must?
I ended up building a traditional tooth bar.

It worked great for my application. It cleared the large amount of brush, logs etc I had in about the time it took me to build it! I think I need 2 pre-tractor-days worth of work in 1 hour! Was tempted to crush my old lawn tractor cart. 😁

I actually don't mind the option of backdraging with the teeth for rough grading. I just used the back of the bucket if I need it to be smooth. Not a big deal at all.

Only problem, I believe the teeth as so aggressive that I could rip apart the tractor if I wasn't being slow and steady.

20220825_181819.jpg

/ BIY tooth bar - CRS/Mild Steel ok? abbrasive resistant metal a must?
Haha .

I took that pic 2min before I took the paint off of the teeth.

They are 23TF teeth from Titan. Sharpened. I shimmed the shanks to fit the 1/2 strip of CRS.

My eyes went wide when they showed up and I saw how big they were. I was tempted to use just the shanks.