Blade position on a 3-blade deck

/ Blade position on a 3-blade deck #11  
I'm pretty sure that is referring to rotating the blades to different spindles after sharpening.

Hmmm. Like rotating tires. They do not make that clear in manual, but I agree that you are right. Good point. Philip.

/ Blade position on a 3-blade deck #12  
Yep, rotate them so they get even wear. I know my blade on the left is the one that gets worn the most. Cause its the one that is always mowing closest to things, or picking up an occasional rock from the drive.

/ Blade position on a 3-blade deck #14  
Hmmm. Like rotating tires. They do not make that clear in manual, but I agree that you are right. Good point. Philip.

Gee. I am 56 years old and never even thought about rotating the blades. I simply took one off, sharpened and replaced. Repeat. Just goes to show it is true that you can learn something new every day.

Thanks.

MoKelly

/ Blade position on a 3-blade deck #15  
I mow a lot, so I keep two sets of blades for both my Woods 72" rfm and my kubota 48" mmm. I used a paint pen to mark the deck 1, 2, 3 to identify the spindles. When I remove one set of blades to sharpen them, I mark each blade with the number of the spindle it was removed from, 1, 2, or 3 with the paint pen. When I put the other set of blades back on the spindles, blade number 1 goes on number 2 spindle, blade number 2 goes on number 3 spindle and blade number 3 goes on number 1 spindle. Next time I take the blades off to sharpen them, I scratch the old number off the blade and paint on the number of the spindle the blade was removed from. Two sets of blades allows me to keep mowing if it's not convenient for me to get the blades sharpened right away. Also, rotating the blades does seem to extend the life considerably.

/ Blade position on a 3-blade deck #16  
Sorry folks,I just ain't that ****.Two sets of blades,take the dull ones off and throw a sharp set on randomly.They all look the same to me after 7 seasons of mowing ;)

/ Blade position on a 3-blade deck #17  
Gee. I am 56 years old and never even thought about rotating the blades. I simply took one off, sharpened and replaced. Repeat. Just goes to show it is true that you can learn something new every day.

Thanks.

MoKelly

I'm even older and I must admit that it never occured to me either. Amazing what you can learn by popping in here occasionally.

/ Blade position on a 3-blade deck
I meant the actual position the blades are mounted at. In post #5, PHILIP8N posted a pdf, and in it it shows the left blade mounted at 4-10 o'clock, the center blade at 8-2 and the right blade at 7-1 for prolonged service life. My question was aimed more along the line of, best placement for grass discharge. As a lot of you are saying...it dont matter, especially since they wont keep that position anyway. Just wanted to see what your opinions are.

/ Blade position on a 3-blade deck #19  
I think the blades where random in that picture. It was showing to rotate your blades to different spindles..

/ Blade position on a 3-blade deck #20  
I think the blades where random in that picture. It was showing to rotate your blades to different spindles..
I too think they only meant rotating blades from one spindle to the next. Setting them at any angle is meaningless.

Attachments

• DSCF1255 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF1255 (Copier).JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 1,453
  • DSCF1256 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF1256 (Copier).JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCF1257 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF1257 (Copier).JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 1,108