Oil & Fuel Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA)

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #21  
The safety system turns off the fuel solenoid unless the PTO is off, the brake is set, and the transmission is in neutral. I ran mine out of fuel while using the cutter and forgot to turn the PTO off. Turned it off, fired right up. It is autobleeding. Here is the repair manual chapters for engine and fuel system.

Attachments

• Sect10C1.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 62
  • Sect10C2.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
   / Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #22  
The safety system turns off the fuel solenoid unless the PTO is off, the brake is set, and the transmission is in neutral. I ran mine out of fuel while using the cutter and forgot to turn the PTO off. Turned it off, fired right up. It is autobleeding. Here is the repair manual chapters for engine and fuel system.
Well it’s running again and it was definitely a ID10T error.

In my haste yesterday when it stopped running I forgot to set the parking brake. 🙃😵‍💫😕🤨🧐😫

Once the parking brake was set it self bled quickly.

Note to self always check safety systems/switches.

Last edited:
   / Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #23  
Testing the solenoid isn't hard. Take the wire off, then unscrew the unit from the back of the pump. Reach in with your finger and see if you can move the rack move rack and forth against slight spring pressure. It should move with little effort then spring back.

Take the coil and connect a jumper wire to the spade terminal. hold the solenoid case onto tractor ground, then touch the jumper to battery positive. If the solenoid is working the little pin on the end will retract, then pop out again when you remove the 12 volts.

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #24  
Thanks for the input fellas. Djradz....I went with Jinman's method and it worked fine. A large rag caught most of the fuel so it wasn't really too messy. Started and ran fine. It's cold here and I noticed a few crystals of ice on the base of the filter. I buy my fuel at the same place all the time so I'll leave it until next year and change it again to see if there is any water from this supplier.

My machine is a 2004 that had 100 hours on it when I purchased it last December so someone else could have got a little water in there before I owned it.

One question......the spring at the base of the filter was not present as indicated in the manual. The filter cartridge fit snuggly onto the upper O-ring and seemed to stay in place but should this base spring be there or did NH change the design?

Mine (2005) has the spring but honestly the o ring and pressure keep it pressed to the top. I didn’t even notice the spring fell out when I fist changed fuel filter and it is NOT shown in the user manual. Only a TBN member told me where it went

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #25  
Ordered my Mr Funnel today; sounds like a wise investment. It can only help. I have tried a few different fuel locations. Will keep trying but hate going 20 miles when a station with diesel is 1/2 mile from my house. Filter will pay for itself in no time if I can cut back on fuel filter changes and trips to a clean fuel location. I did complain to service station owner; He told me he just purchased the location and will change filter on pump as there was no record of it being changed and he stated it was a smaller tank than the gas tanks and he would buy less more often than the previous owner did. (that is fill the underground tank and wait till it ran very low then order more). Hopefully it will help. Thanks for the info on Mr Funnel.
Those who store few 5 gallon containers of diesel around their shop. Please make sure to keep containers off concrete if you are in non-heated shop. I found out younger age the plastic containers will draw moisture from from temperature change between the fuel temp and cold concrete especially so in the winter months. Never understood why I had white smoke rolling from kubota until more experienced diesel mechanic showed me the root cause of plastic fuel containers on cold concrete floor.

/ Bleeding air from the Fuel System (TC40DA) #26  
Those who store few 5 gallon containers of diesel around their shop. Please make sure to keep containers off concrete if you are in non-heated shop. I found out younger age the plastic containers will draw moisture from from temperature change between the fuel temp and cold concrete especially so in the winter months. Never understood why I had white smoke rolling from kubota until more experienced diesel mechanic showed me the root cause of plastic fuel containers on cold concrete floor.
That's not really what's happening. It's not drawing moisture up from the floor.
What's happening is condensation is forming on the inside of the container and falling down into the fuel. If you keep jugs very full it helps with this.

I do believe it happens more on a concrete floor due to the fact that concrete is generally colder and with more temperature difference between your fuel and the air you get more condensation.

It happens in reverse in the summer, the moisture is on the outside.