Blue starting smoke - solved!

/ Blue starting smoke - solved! #1  

Jims1025R

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025R, John Deere 15 Mini ex, Polaris 700 6x6 Ranger & Airplane
My new JD 1025R is charming, except for the blue smoke which it emits for the first 15 seconds after start. I'd parked it in my attached garage overnight about a month ago, and when I started it the next morning, it filled the garage with blue smoke - the Mrs. and I were not impressed. Since then, it's been in the shed, which still suffers the blue smoke, but at least it's not the house!

Last night, for the first time, I used the block heater, as it's below freezing this morning. I started it in the shed, and it lit to life without a wisp of smoke! So, maybe now, I can park it in the garage to work on it, and just preheat it before start. I was all set to look for rubber exhaust hose to duct the fumes out the garage door, when I had to take it in to work on it, but it looks like problem solved. The block heater was doubly worth it!

/ Blue starting smoke - solved! #2  
Doesn't the 1025 have some type of engine intake/glow plug pre heater??

/ Blue starting smoke - solved! #3  
Do NOT run it in the garage with the door shut!!! It may not smoke but the fumes build quickly. It would be better to blow the exhaust out with a fan or use the exhaust hose out the door.

/ Blue starting smoke - solved!
Do NOT run it in the garage with the door shut!!!

Agreed, but even with the garage door open, and the man door open for cross flow, all that blue smoke was very unpleasant for a short while!

Yes, it has glowplugs, which I dutifully wait, so the amber lamp is out before I start - but cold, it was still smoking

/ Blue starting smoke - solved! #5  
My JD lawnmower smokes on cold starts too 😂

/ Blue starting smoke - solved! #8  
on my tractor, after glow plug timer times out, i can hold the key over to just before start and this will manually cycle glow plugs until i hit the start position. for the times when i need a little more for supper cold days. maybe your does also.