Boat storage question

/ Boat storage question #1  

AaronS

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XR4046HC, New Holland Boomer 1020
I know I should find a boat forum to ask this, but the collective brain power of this forum always come through. :thumbsup:

When storing a boat over the winter in an unheated barn, would it be better to run most of the fuel out of the tank and add Stabil, so there isn't as much fuel with the potential to gum up, or could that lead to moisture in the fuel tank, making it better to store with the fuel tank full of Stabil treated gas?

/ Boat storage question #2  
AronS,

For me, every thing empty. I have a 2 cyc motor. I used what is let of last years fuel in my old truck. The 50:1 mix is a small qty of oil. Ideally you should run it dry with muffs or at the launch ramp. (disconnect the fuel line at the motor, not run the tank dry)

If you have an I/O board, I think I'd siphon it out of the tank

Todays fuel goes bad so fast, no reason the keep it from Sept-14 to May-15 of next year

/ Boat storage question #3  
Per my boat mechanic.I use 91 octane non-ethanol gas treat with Startron and Marine Stabil for the winter.Tanks are left full.No problems at all.Mine is a two stroke outboard.I do not drain or run out the gas.
If you use Ethanol gas your procedure my be different.
Another note;I use Marine Stabil + Startron for my mowers(87 octane) and have no problems with a six months storage.
Boat storage reminders:
1.remove batteries and charge
2.drain lower unit and refill with oil
3.treat all gas
4.jack and block trailer(removes weight from tires)
5.install cover if you have one
6.lower motor to the down position
7.remove drain plug from boat(raise front)

/ Boat storage question #4  
I would fill it all the way up less room for water or bone dry not half a tank. IMO.

/ Boat storage question #5  
If you use ethanol gas, you are asking for many kinds of trouble. Fill the tank Full of Premium gasoline, add Stabil, ensue that water does not get into the tank. Let it sit for a couple weeks then drain the tank of about a quart from the motor fuel line (to get any residual water out). Run the motor on muffs for about ten miunutes to get stabil into the pumps/carbs/ injectors Fog the engine thru the air intake.. Drain the motor gear oil out of the lower unit and replace with fresh gear oil. Store the motor on the transom in a vertical position. Cover the exhaust ports with plastic bags, taped closed. Put some RV antifreeze into the bilge and live well pumps, Pump it out to waste. If the boat has wood in the decks, do not seal it over with shrink wrap in a heated building. Keep it cold and DRY in a shed, barn, garage. Out of the snow. keep the batteries fully charged, checked frequently. No worries thataway

/ Boat storage question #6  
I try to run my tanks (2 boats) down to very little left when storing. Then put fresh gas in when taking it back out. I do this because the 1 time I did leave tanks full and treated with Stabil the motor did not run to full power until I was able to use 1/2 tank then fill with fresh before it took off and ran right. Mine engines are both 2 stroke without oil injection, so using 50:1 pre-mixed. I will also syphon some out to use in chainsaw when needed. Mine set outdoors with traps over them.

/ Boat storage question #7  
Based on what my boat dealer/mechanic and local guy at marina recommend, I store my boat with a full tank of fuel (it's a 40 gal tank). The marina sells ValvTect blended gas at their pump (it's got ethanol -- no choice anymore around here). I didn't have any problems this spring, and in fact ran on that full tank well into June before refueling.

My dealer/mechanic swears by ValvTect and sells the additive bottles at his shop. First time I heard about it was when I bought my Yamaha outboard from him. It was interesting to see the marina selling the same thing but pre-blended at the pump (they are 60 miles apart with no relationship).

Note that my outboard is a 4-stroke, and from what I have heard that already makes a big difference, as they are apparently not nearly as sensitive to ethanol/storage issues as the older 2-strokes.

/ Boat storage question #8  
Either full or empty, not partially full. I store mine full and treated with a 50:50 mix of Startron and Marine Formula StaBil. Full or empty will minimize condensation from the "cold" fuel and warmer exterior. Never had a problem in more than 20 years. All my gas engines get treated this way 24/7.

/ Boat storage question #9  
Small boat, We empty the tank and fog them.

Larger boat (our Robalo had a 100 gallon tank) we topped it off and used PRI-G, which was much more cncentrated than Stabil. But Sta-Bil now has a more-concentrated Marine formula as well.

Think about anti-rodent measures also.

/ Boat storage question #10  
I bring my boat up on the floating dock & turn it over. I take my oars into the shed, sand & re-lacquor them. I'm ready for next spring.