Bobbed Deuce

/ Bobbed Deuce #21  
Wouldn't 5th be a road gear that you used after you really got rolling? 4th is where you spent most of your road time and when you went into 5th it was a conscience choice at higher speeds? If so, the shift up would feel natural and like it was by design rather than accident. An "overdrive" kind of shift. I could be wrong because I never had one, but I recall similar setups that I think were made that way on purpose.

The split between 4th and 5th on a Deuce is very wide. While the shift back and forth between 4th and 5th might meet your description. The shift from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 3rd is extremely unnatural. :(

/ Bobbed Deuce #22  
I bought a deuce several years ago when they were still available from government auctions - maybe they still are, I haven't looked lately.

I got mine from a guy that was buying three at a time from the Redstone Arsenal sales (I think). He would buy them, fix whatever minor problems they had, and flip them for a little profit.

When I went to look at mine, he had it and one that he had bobbed. I drove both, but since I wanted to be able to haul more material in my bed, I decided to go with the 6 wheel version.

I added a dump bed to it and have used it many, many time hauling stuff around the farm.

It is relatively crude and slow, but I haven't gotten it stuck yet.

I think they hold the re-sale pretty good. I've been offered far more than I've paid for mine, I just have no interest in selling it yet.

Good luck and take care.

Neighbor farmer near me has one with an auger box on it to haul grain out of the field. He's since died. It's sitting in his machine shed. Probably hasn't moved in 15 years. Worked great during wet harvest times. No stuck there. :)

/ Bobbed Deuce #23  
The split between 4th and 5th on a Deuce is very wide. While the shift back and forth between 4th and 5th might meet your description. The shift from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 3rd is extremely unnatural. :(

There's videos on youtube of someone driving a 5x4 with one of these...talk about unnatural.

/ Bobbed Deuce #24  
There's videos on youtube of someone driving a 5x4 with one of these...talk about unnatural.

I've owned 2. They work very well with a closer gear ratio between 9th and 10th than possible the other way. Just takes a bit of getting used to. :)

/ Bobbed Deuce #25  

I agree. Its just wrong! :laughing:

/ Bobbed Deuce #27  
That a great and classic piece of gear. You should restore it. I would. Doesn't look to have much rust but looks can be deceiving. Especially in your neck of the woods if it's spent any amount of time on public roads. I don't think I've seen as many rust buckets as there are in MI. Only place I know where people have seasonal cars.

/ Bobbed Deuce #28  
Here's my favorite deuce and half.
gun-truck2.jpg
I got to fire one once and it was a real blast. Nothing like the firepower a 20mm Vulcan puts down but it was still a real kick.

/ Bobbed Deuce #29  
just buy a "new" unimog. same machine but with front/rear pto and configurable 3pt hitch front/rear so you can actuall do "tractor" work with it

This one is on local CL right now.

00u0u_639l3ZpgD6j_600x450.jpg

/ Bobbed Deuce #30  
That a great and classic piece of gear. You should restore it. I would. Doesn't look to have much rust but looks can be deceiving. Especially in your neck of the woods if it's spent any amount of time on public roads. I don't think I've seen as many rust buckets as there are in MI. Only place I know where people have seasonal cars.
I do plan to restore it.
Mostly stock, with some improvements.

It isn't too bad rust wise, but it was driven by brail. It spent most of it's life as a plow and woods truck in the south-western part of the U.P. Not sure about road time, but in the 40s and 50s I'm sure they didn't use the amount of salt we do now.