Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac?

/ Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac? #31  
Brian:
Sounds great.
Now all you need to do is get enough TBN Toolcat users for your own forum.
Post now and then on the Power Trac forum just to stay in touch. I'm envious of your air conditioning. I certainly agree that the mower out front is the way to go, both for finish work and brush. I understand from Mark Chalkley a few years back that the Ammbusher will take down sections of forest. He got one for his much-modified EarthFore.
Enjoy.

/ Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac? #32  
How do you guys find the Toolcat engine noise versus the Power Tracs?

/ Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac?
Charlie,
Thanks again for all of your advice and encouragement during my machine selection process. I went with the Toolcat, but the Power Trac 1400 and 1800 series tractor loaders are great machines as well. A PT 1845 or 1850 with duals is better than a Toolcat for very steep slope work and they have other pluses, too.

After you get your pastures in shape and your son married, come on down and try out my Toolcat work machine!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How do you guys find the Toolcat engine noise versus the Power Tracs? )</font>
ptrubey,
With a hard enclosed cab with HVAC and sound muffling materials on inside roof, doors, etc., engine noise is not an issue in the Toolcat (at least inside cab!). I operate it without ear plugs or muffs, which are essential with the non-cab diesel Power Tracs.

I believe the four-cylinder Kubota engine in my Toolcat and the Duetz diesels in the 1850/1845/1460/1445 Power Tracs are all quieter than the smaller Duetz diesel with fewer cylinders in the Power Trac 1430.

In following up my answer to the question about engine noise, note the Toolcat is not an electric-powered golf cart / UV so I'm not claiming it's silent! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The Toolcat cab does muffle noise quite a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif But at full throttle with an auxiliary hydraulic attachment like a mower constantly going at full force, it's still a good idea (but not imperative) to add even more sound muffling with ear plugs/muffs. Save whatever hearing you have left!

/ Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac? #36  
Brian,
Congrats on the Toolcat...I am still using my dealers Demo but was told today that mine has arrived! I cannot wait to see it/use it. I can tell that you have gone thru the trials and tribulations of educated buying, but now that your on the easy end of it, wasn't it fun!?! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
A word of caution, however...about 10 days ago I was using a demoed Brushcat with extra long hydraulic hoses, long enough so that my salesman Joe from Highway Equip and Supply stuffed the hoses back through the metal keeper so that loops were formed on the brush cutter deck. Within ten minutes of hogging, I cut a loop that slipped of the deck and under the brushcat while I was reversing, and that's all she wrote...lost all hydraulic power. No power to the brush cutter, no front end arm movement and immobile. Got out, realized the problem and promptly refilled 4 gallons of hydraulic fluid. I won't do that again (I hope /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif).
Keep me informed on your ondoings and such...but I agree that we Toolcat owners have no proper place to post as we are the proverbial round peg.
Enjoy your new toy! Steve

Steve (odleefs),

Yes, exploring equipment options and figuring out what makes sense for me and my farm was very fun! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But then you've got to get things set, decide and actually place the order, like the two of us did. With today's arrival of the Bobcat Box Blade/Scraper and the Ammbusher Brushcutter, I have my Toolcat and six out of the seven attachments delivered.

<font color="red"> For those considering a Toolcat purchase, note that the Free Cab Enclosure with HVAC manufacturer incentive was extended past Aug 31 and is now set to expire on Oct 31, 2005. </font> Set up a free demo on your property like I did, WITH multiple attachments!

bam747,

Key advantages of Power Trac and Bobcat Toolcat machines are the FRONT-mounted, easily changeable front lift arm attachments, including brush cutters and finish mowers. But you had also asked about rear attachments (for pulling such things as 4000-lb. PTO hay mowers, PTO hay balers, and PTO 15' batwing mowers).

FYI, pricing is around $550 for Remote Rear Hydraulics, $1225 for Rear Auxiliary Hydraulics, and $1625 for the Rear PTO Kit, or $3400 total to add these options to a Toolcat 5600 Turbo.

/ Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac? #39  
BrianSouthernMD,

Thanks for the pricing info on the Toolcat rear PTO and hydraulics.

I am confused about the difference between the "Remote Rear Hydraulics" and "Rear Auxiliary Hydraulics" options. Unfortunately, Bobcat has not updated their Toolcat website info yet on any of these new Toolcat options

What does the Remote Rear Hydraulics option get you? What does the Rear Auxiliary Hydraulics option get you?

Regarding a rear 3PH option...

I fully understand and can embrace the capabilities of the front mounted implements on a Toolcat. There are many situations where this is a huge advantage. Even so, there are other situations where pulling an implement is an advantage over pushing the same implement. Also, being able to carry and use two implements at a time is one situation where a traditional utility tractor still has an advantage.

Given the layout of a Toolcat (cab forward, rear dump box), I can see how there can be some usability issues for a rear 3PH. For instance, it would be difficult to see and use a rear 3PH implement from the cab.

Still, one application I saw for a rear 3PH with Bob-Tach QA plate would be as a tool carrier to transport a second Bob-Tach implement to a job site. You'd then drop it off and swap out the two implements as needed on the front of the Toolcat.

However, now that there is a rear PTO, rear draw-bar hitch, and hydraulic SCV available, it does give you the option to perform tasks not formally possible with a Toolcat. Within limits, you can now use most any hydraulically controlled or PTO driven pull type implement. A very nice option!

As for getting two, or more, Bob-Tach implements to a job site using just a Toolcat without a secondary rear 3PH tool carrier, you could always set the additional implements on a small utility trailer, tow that trailer to the job site using the Toolcat, detach the trailer, and then swap out the front mounted implements as needed.

Hummm... Lets see... I've got a fencing project to do...

Load up a utility trailer with a PHD, a FEL bucket in case you need to do some digging and leveling, and a bunch of posts and rails. Attach a palate fork or utility grapple on the front of the Toolcat. Throw your shovel and tamping bar and other tools and supplies in the bed of the Toolcat. Hook the trailer to the Toolcat. Drive the whole kit and caboodle to the job site. Drop off the trailer. Drop the grapple. Hook onto the PHD. Git-er-done! All by yourself with no second vehicle involved. I like it!

Sounds like the very definition of a "Utility Work Machine" to me! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bam747

BTW, I think the Toolcat deserves its own forum in the "Other Brands/Equipment" section just like the Power Trac.

/ Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac? #40  
Actually that sounds like a description of one the Power Trac trailer packages, where the trailer hauls not only the tractor but 7 different attachments that you drive up to and hook up to, without ever leaving the drivers seat...

And the tractor can pull the trailer, also...

mainshot12.jpg