Bolt Size Help

/ Bolt Size Help #101  
You can clearly see they are fine threads.

I think you need to get a M16x1.5 tap and clean them threads up

/ Bolt Size Help #103  
You can make your own thread chaser bolt by filing reliefs in the direction of the threads. Two or three will do.

Thread chaser bolt.jpg

/ Bolt Size Help #104  
Just plain WRONG
Hahahaha! There are exceptions to every rule, but how so? Can you show a non-extreme example of fine threads in cast iron (not cast steel)?

/ Bolt Size Help #105  
Hahahaha! There are exceptions to every rule, but how so? Can you show a non-extreme example of fine threads in cast iron (not cast steel)?
You said cast iron will ALWAYS have coarse threads. IF there are exceptions then thats not always. Perhaps you should have said USUALLY.

But lots of cast iron crankshafts have fine thread flywheel and balancer bolts.
These kubotas are another example. ALOT of the fasteners including the bellhousing bolts and loader bolts are fine thread.
Have seen lots of valve cover bolts in aluminum heads that are fine thread
Cast knuckes on cars usually have fine thread holes for things like the ABS sensor as well as alot of cast bearing hubs for autos are fine thread
I have seen oil pan bolts that are fine thread

Thats all I can come up with off the top of my head. Honestly dont pay too much attention when wrenching on stuff. Especially metric stuff cause I cannot look at a M10 bolt and automatically tell if its fine or coarse thread like I can with SAE fasteners.

But to say ALWAYS coarse thread is bologny

/ Bolt Size Help #106  
You said cast iron will ALWAYS have coarse threads. IF there are exceptions then thats not always. Perhaps you should have said USUALLY.
What part of "Rule of thumb" do you not understand?

But lots of cast iron crankshafts have fine thread flywheel and balancer bolts.
Forged nodular iron cranks fall under "Exceptions to the rule", steel cranks do not.

These kubotas are another example. ALOT of the fasteners including the bellhousing bolts and loader bolts are fine thread.
Depends on the metallurgy. Cast iron or cast steel?

Have seen lots of valve cover bolts in aluminum heads that are fine thread
I have not yet seen any aluminum heads on tractors or construction equipment, so this would fall under "exceptions".

Cast knuckes on cars usually have fine thread holes for things like the ABS sensor as well as alot of cast bearing hubs for autos are fine thread
What knuckles? Driveshaft U-joint yokes are cast steel. Yet to see a cast iron hub with fine threads - on anything!

I have seen oil pan bolts that are fine thread
Example please.

Thats all I can come up with off the top of my head. Honestly dont pay too much attention when wrenching on stuff. Especially metric stuff cause I cannot look at a M10 bolt and automatically tell if its fine or coarse thread like I can with SAE fasteners.

But to say ALWAYS coarse thread is bologny
What's "bologny"? Bologna? Baloney?

/ Bolt Size Help #107  
The 1st picture with the 5/8-18 bolt started sure gave us a good comparison of the threads. If a 16x1.5mm is just too big, it sure seems the likely thread would be that 5/8-18 thread which is slightly smaller than 16mm and has a slightly finer pitch than a 1.5mm would be.

/ Bolt Size Help
The 1st picture with the 5/8-18 bolt started sure gave us a good comparison of the threads. If a 16x1.5mm is just too big, it sure seems the likely thread would be that 5/8-18 thread which is slightly smaller than 16mm and has a slightly finer pitch than a 1.5mm would be.
this may be very helpful to. i will have to dig around and see if i can find one locally if not it will be googel's and a day or to.

/ Bolt Size Help
Not exactly the thread i started but could be a discussion here... while we on the subject do you think or know if the loader mounts are cast iron or cast steel and how do you tell the difference...ping it? like a cheap anvil..????