Bolt Thread ID???

/ Bolt Thread ID??? #1  

moship

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST 4x4 Kubota L4740-3 HST
Does anyone know what size bolt and threads work in the tapped hole shown in the photo? Your looking at the support structure for a 723 FEL on a Grand L 30 Series tractor (L3130). The threads look to be fine pitch.

I bought what I could at Lowes and Tractor Supply but their metric bolt selection is a bit weak.

12mm x 1.25 acted like the diameter is too large or the thread pitch is wrong and I didn't want to force the issue.

10mm x 1.25 seems to small in diameter.

Thanks Loader Bolt Threads.jpg

/ Bolt Thread ID??? #2  
Maybe its not Metric.

/ Bolt Thread ID??? #3  
Metric fasteners in these sizes come in fine thread, intermediate thread and a coarse thread. The 12mm x 1.25 is the intermediate thread. 12mm x 1.5 is the coarse thread and 12mm x 1.0 is the fine thread. I would expect that if the intermediate didn't work, that the coarse thread is what you want. The thread pitch (second number) is a measurement between consecutive threads in milimeters. Are you able to see the thread in the hole?

/ Bolt Thread ID??? #4  
Does anyone know what size bolt and threads work in the tapped hole shown in the photo? Your looking at the support structure for a 723 FEL on a Grand L 30 Series tractor (L3130). The threads look to be fine pitch.

I bought what I could at Lowes and Tractor Supply but their metric bolt selection is a bit weak.

12mm x 1.25 acted like the diameter is too large or the thread pitch is wrong and I didn't want to force the issue.

10mm x 1.25 seems to small in diameter.

ThanksView attachment 343167
Try a 7/16 x 20. Thats the American fine thread. Its slightly smaller than 12mm, but 1.25 and 20 TPI are virtually identical thread pitch. I think TSC has them in Gr8.
larry

/ Bolt Thread ID??? #5  
Aren't the loaders made in the USA and the tractors made in Asia?
The loader most likely has SAE(fine thread) or USS(coarse)thread fasteners whereas the tractor would have metric fasteners.
Good Luck,it won't be that hard!

/ Bolt Thread ID???
ibnxe: Thanks, but I was aware of the multiple thread types for metric, but buying the different sizes at Lowes or TSC is impossible. It's definitely a fine thread. I tried getting my thread gage (from tapping set) into the hole, but it is too large to fit within the hole. (Yes, there are threads in there)

Spiderlk: Tried that the 7/16-20 figuring that it might be SAE vs Metric but the bolt felt a bit loose in the hole. 1.25 metric pitch is almost identical to 20 pitch SAE. Thanks for the suggestion though.

number two: All the other bolts that assemble the subframe are metric, but I guess it could be threaded either way. It shouldn't be that hard, but it's not like I can find a place that sells all the different types of metric thread combinations.

I have SAE fine threads in a variety of sizes. A 7/16-20 goes in but feels loose. 1/2-20 won't go (diameter is too big).

I also tried searching the various parts drawing on Messick's but can't find anything that utilizes this hole to find the corresponding thread size.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks

/ Bolt Thread ID??? #7  
One thing you could try is to remove a bolt from somewhere else on the tractor and try it in the hole.There should be other same size bolt holes somewhere on the tractor.

/ Bolt Thread ID??? #8  
One thing you could try is to remove a bolt from somewhere else on the tractor and try it in the hole.There should be other same size bolt holes somewhere on the tractor.

***WINNER***

Hint: It's going to be a metric thread if the bolt screws into a casting that's part of the tractor.

/ Bolt Thread ID??? #9  
Best that I can tell parts schematic does show a bolt for "that hole" but the other bolts on mounting frame are M16*1.50*55 or M16*1.50*45. What are you wanting to bolt using the hole with the arrow pointing at it?

/ Bolt Thread ID??? #10  
Go to a NAPA or other quality auto parts place that serves commercial mechanics & garages, or a good, old-school hardware store, the kind with a whole aisle of fasteners, not a big-box home improvement center. Take the bolt that you removed with you, as Kcender & RickB recommended. Should find a match without much issue. The bolt will cost twice as much at these places, so plan to be out $1.37 or so and some additional mileage in the car.