Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle

/ Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle #1  

BravoXray

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230, John Deere 430 Diesel
Every time I have to remove and remount a tire/sheel on the front of my BX I curse them for using bolts instead of studs. So, I bought a 12" piece of 9/16" X18 threaded rod and lug nuts to replace them. I cut the rod into eight 1 1/2" long pieces and cleaned up the threads on the ends and made sure the nuts threaded on freely. This afternoon, I picked up the front of the tractor and pulled each wheel and installed the studs with a liberal amount of blue Loctite, let it set up, applied some antisieze to the threads and bolted the wheels back on. Now I can just line up the studs and holes, slip the wheel on and torque down the nuts with no profane language.
Yes, I see the bulge in the sidewall of the tire, it's coming back off on Monday and will be replaced.

IMG_20231117_175849282 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20231118_142437735 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20231118_145715297 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20231118_151901039 (Medium).jpg

/ Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle #2  
Good job. These days, most brands just include two studs for this exact purpose.

/ Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle #5  
Just hoping that isn't hardware store threaded rod as that is likely only grade 2 or worse. I would want grade 5 for sure for this. Grade 8 might be too brittle, but the best bet would be to check what was on there from the factory and get comparable grades (metric grades are different but you can cross them close enough to english).

But yes, I agree that bolts on wheels are awful. My Kubota has 2 studs and the rest bolts as PTSG notes, but my 2 German cars are all bolts, and changing winter to summer tires is very annoying.

/ Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle #6  
I would expect the original bolts to be 10.9 grade. There maybe be markings on them.

Leaving this here for reference:

Attachments

• 1652125928627.png
    1652125928627.png
    23 KB · Views: 952

/ Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle #7  
Great ideas, for a frustrating job getting the wheels back on. For the few times I have had my wheels off, when putting them back on I use my largest philips screwdriver to help guide the rim close to the correct position, and then screw in the first bolt on the opposite side .

/ Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle #8  
I've always wondered the reason for not using studs, at least two; is it a cost savings?

/ Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle
Just hoping that isn't hardware store threaded rod as that is likely only grade 2 or worse. I would want grade 5 for sure for this. Grade 8 might be too brittle, but the best bet would be to check what was on there from the factory and get comparable grades (metric grades are different but you can cross them close enough to english).

I bought the rod from McMaster-Carr, they listed the specs at grade B7 and tensile strength as 125,000psi, so I think it will do the job just fine.

Besides, you'd never find 9/16" X 18 tpi rod at a hardware store. I doubt you could even find 9/16" bolts, period.

Last edited: