Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator?

/ Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator?
Ugggggggh, a suicide cord i`m guessing.o_O
Ya know, its not as hard as you think, to do it the right way.
No suicide cord! Tryin my best to do it the “right way” but everyone‘s way seems to be different.

You plug a generator in to a 14l-30p mounted to your house. That goes to a transfer switch. That can be a simple lockout/breaker. That 14l-30p is attached to 4 wires, 2 hot that go to a double 30 amp breaker. Then the neutral and the ground attach to the bus in the panel. Those are attached to the ground for the structure. There is no need for a grounding rod on your generator separately. And the neutral for the generator needs to float. At least that would be my understanding.

In a portable situation the bonded neutral allows use of a generator without a grounding rod also.

My inverter does not have anywhere to even attach a ground rod…

/ Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator? #22  
Pretty much no such thing here as a local electrician, local anything really. I do everything myself or wait weeks or months to get a call back. Doesn’t matter what it is, plumping, heating, electrical. I am doing the work myself.
We must be neighbors.

/ Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator? #23  
No suicide cord! Tryin my best to do it the “right way” but everyone‘s way seems to be different.

You plug a generator in to a 14l-30p mounted to your house. That goes to a transfer switch. That can be a simple lockout/breaker. That 14l-30p is attached to 4 wires, 2 hot that go to a double 30 amp breaker. Then the neutral and the ground attach to the bus in the panel. Those are attached to the ground for the structure. There is no need for a grounding rod on your generator separately. And the neutral for the generator needs to float. At least that would be my understanding.

In a portable situation the bonded neutral allows use of a generator without a grounding rod also.

My inverter does not have anywhere to even attach a ground rod…

In this scenario I would float at the generator, since the bond is in a panel.

/ Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator? #24  
I found that my new Lennox furnace would not run when connected directly to the inverter. Had to make a dummy plug with ground and neutral connected and plug that into the inverter also.

/ Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator? #25  
Ok, if using a generator at your place, so not power from power company. Why bond neutral to ground and put grounding rods in, whether you use the house wiring or extension cords? Now hear me out. :LOL: I'm not an electrician. If the generator neutral is bonded to ground, and you drive a ground stake in for the generator, isn't that making it more dangerous? If you happen to grab a conductor that now has a voltage potential to earth ground, it would want to use us as a conductor right? If there was no ground rods, wouldn't there be probably no potential voltage difference to earth ground?

Ok, if using a generator at your place, so not power from power company. Why bond neutral to ground and put grounding rods in, whether you use the house wiring or extension cords? Now hear me out. :LOL: I'm not an electrician. If the generator neutral is bonded to ground, and you drive a ground stake in for the generator, isn't that making it more dangerous? If you happen to grab a conductor that now has a voltage potential to earth ground, it would want to use us as a conductor right? If there was no ground rods, wouldn't there be probably no potential voltage difference to earth ground?
I think I agree with you that if you are using a generator to power a structure the safest way is to allow the structure to provide ground and neutral. If you have a bonded neutral and grounding rod on your gen, a GFCI gen will actually trip once enough load is on line.

But I don’t know what the fancy $300 transfer switches do to provide a benefit? They switch neutral and ground to the generator which to me is not as safe as using the structure? But same as you I am not an electrician.

/ Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator? #27  
I think I agree with you that if you are using a generator to power a structure the safest way is to allow the structure to provide ground and neutral. If you have a bonded neutral and grounding rod on your gen, a GFCI gen will actually trip once enough load is on line.

But I don’t know what the fancy $300 transfer switches do to provide a benefit? They switch neutral and ground to the generator which to me is not as safe as using the structure? But same as you I am not an electrician.
Oh ya forgot about the GFCI.

/ Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator? #28  
This discussion combined with lack of accurate documentation is a safety headache.
All I want to do is SAFELY hook up my generator (Duromax 9000iH with bonded neutral) either to:
(1) Equipment directly - like plugging in an electric drill, or Extension cords to distribute to frig, window a/c
(2) To a proper connection and transfer switch to a subpanel to power my "critical" house circuits - a/c, microwave, etc.

But from my reading this thread it seems like (1) needs a bonded neutral and (2) needs a floating neutral.

What's the safest and easiest way to switch between?
Is a neutral-ground plug a valid solution?
neutral-ground plug

This discussion combined with lack of accurate documentation is a safety headache.
All I want to do is SAFELY hook up my generator (Duromax 9000iH with bonded neutral) either to:
(1) Equipment directly - like plugging in an electric drill, or Extension cords to distribute to frig, window a/c
(2) To a proper connection and transfer switch to a subpanel to power my "critical" house circuits - a/c, microwave, etc.

But from my reading this thread it seems like (1) needs a bonded neutral and (2) needs a floating neutral.

What's the safest and easiest way to switch between?
Is a neutral-ground plug a valid solution?
neutral-ground plug
I am sure you saw this?

/ Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator? #30  
I think it is rather simple.
If the 220 VAC generator has a 3 prong connector there is no ground.
If 4 prong connector one has to be a ground with the others being hot/hot and neutral.