Boom bent?

/ Boom bent? #11  
I'd worry about cylinder wear too. I would take the skid steer quick coupler off and see if that gives any clues and if it is also binding. I'd spend some time with a tape measure, straight edge, string line, level, etc. and see if you can determine where the bend is.

/ Boom bent? #12  
He did take off one end of the skidsteer assembly.. You can tell in the given pictures the ends of the loaded arms are now too narrow and the skidsteer mount assembly will not fit without force. The left loader arm and cylinder end are not lined up like the right side. Its fair to assume the left loader arm is bent. Where its bent, we don't know without more info.

Edit: I'll concede your point as he only took off the upper link. I agree he should remove the lower pivot and see what springs back.

I agree the skidsteer mount assembly may be bent too, but it apparent it's not the major problem.

Again, I'd suggest checking him insurance since its a new machine.

Last edited:
   / Boom bent?
No insurance. Had no idea this was even a thing until Friday when I first posted. God my dealer sucks…

Anyways, tried a few things this weekend. The top right pin mount I bent a little but not enough to cause a major issue like this. I think it’s a combination of things. Weather didn’t cooperate this weekend and I didn’t have help. Will work on it some more next weekend.

Any tips on straightening assuming I can figure out what’s bent? Comealong and a big tree/hammer?

/ Boom bent? #14  
Let's assume its only the left arm from the torque tube to the tip. I would restrain the right arm at the torque tube (which will restrain the left as well) to a tree with a chain or cable. I would then pull sideways with a come-along the left arm tip until I saw some motion approximating the needed deflection. Remove tension and measure progress. Repeat. Small changes are better than big ones.

Of course that is just an example. You need to know what and how its bent. Take measurements and use straight edges.

/ Boom bent? #15  
Your pin at the base of the left cylinder might be bent. Hard to tell without a photo looking right at it.
If it isn't binding or the cylinder making jerky movements, I would just fly it and watch it.
I twisted my spreader bar (torque tube) on my skid steer adapter. My repairs (and other suggestions) are here..........https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/threads/quick-attach-bent.321315/page-2 Mine starts at post #17.
hugs, Brandi

/ Boom bent?
Your pin at the base of the left cylinder might be bent. Hard to tell without a photo looking right at it.
If it isn't binding or the cylinder making jerky movements, I would just fly it and watch it.
I twisted my spreader bar (torque tube) on my skid steer adapter. My repairs (and other suggestions) are here..........https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/threads/quick-attach-bent.321315/page-2 Mine starts at post #17.
hugs, Brandi

Unfortunately, it's not the pin. I was hoping that was the case as well. I removed it and rolled it on a flat surface to check. The gusset was slightly bent, but I'm not sure if it's enough to cause that much deflection on the cylinder.

/ Boom bent? #17  
When a loader frame (or any other welded steel structure) is forcibly bent, its YIELD strength has been exceeded somewhere. That means plastic deformation took place. Plastic deformation can not be reversed - it can only be offset by more plastic deformation somewhere else. In other words "straightening" is done by bending the structure even more, involving new material that wasn't stretched before.

If the pins will go back in, I'd leave it as-is. If bent again to make it line up better, it will just have more yielded spots in other places.

Last edited:
   / Boom bent? #18  
You are correct that the material must have yielded to have a permanent offset. However, its not that big of a deal. Bend it back. Consider that a myriad of mild steel shapes are formed on a press brake including a lot of your tractor.

/ Boom bent? #19  
There's a frame alignment place near me that will fix stuff like that, not sure if you could find somthing like that near you. They repair semi trailers, damaged frames on ambulances and police cars, etc. They'd be able to help figure out what's actually bent and they'd have the tools to straighten it out. I had them straighten the outrigger on my bucket lift.

/ Boom bent? #20  
There's a frame alignment place near me that will fix stuff like that, not sure if you could find somthing like that near you. They repair semi trailers, damaged frames on ambulances and police cars, etc. They'd be able to help figure out what's actually bent and they'd have the tools to straighten it out. I had them straighten the outrigger on my bucket lift.

That's right. Some welding & metal fab shops either have someone who is good at bending things back to straight or know someone they call on who is.
I have done a few minor frame repairs myself...enough to know that it needs someone who has done this before and has both patience and a feel for the forces involved. Once you find that person it will just be another job for him....and and I bet he will get it close enough that you can use it without any problems.

But you need to ask around and find someone local who straightens frames and things. Welding shops will know. So will the local industrial Case/JD/Cat dealer.
rScotty