3-Point Hitch Boom pole lift expectations

/ Boom pole lift expectations #11  
Lifting an engine isn't an issue as for weight. I pulled the engine out of my honda and my only issue is that 7' out there the, the ability to lift it 1/4" is not really good. My lift is smooth but, the length magnifies the amount moved. I have lifted a 275 gallon drum somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 full of fuel oil. Had to use the hook closer to the tractor because when i lifted it at the hook out at the end, the only thing that raised up was the front of my tractor.

Last edited:
   / Boom pole lift expectations #12  
However, they do not - so it isnt a simple lever. The 3ph is a parallelogram linkage which, if perfect, would lift the boompole straight up without pivot/rotation. Such a condition would quarantee a very hi % of the lift at the eyes was available at any point on the boompole. Since it is not perfect you lose about 30% behind the eyes.
larry

This never occured to me! I have always thought of it is a simple swinging arm, where the lift capacity decreases dramatically with distance. Understanding it this way helps me to understand how a 3pt can lift larger, heavier implements like a brushcutter where a considerable amount of weight is quite a ways away from the lift points. Great post!

/ Boom pole lift expectations #13  
However, they do not - so it isnt a simple lever. The 3ph is a parallelogram linkage which, if perfect, would lift the boompole straight up without pivot/rotation. Such a condition would quarantee a very hi % of the lift at the eyes was available at any point on the boompole. Since it is not perfect you lose about 30% behind the eyes.
larry

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Boom pole lift expectations #14  
Yeah It would be. I could work it out I suppose as well. Normally when they rate the lifting capacity they are talking about pins, would that be the ball ends of the lift arms or where the actuators link onto the lower lift arms? If I knew which one they were talking about, I would work out the torque and then weight at various distances. Im not sure how heavy the engine is. I think the 3pt is rated at 2600 lbs on the 28hp tractor. Im just not sure at which point they are rating the lift. The engine would be a few hundred pounds no doubt. Flat head 6 dodge .

Okay - so the engine in question isn't out of a Mack Superliner. You should be fine. Just keep in mind what c23380 mentioned - that fine movements may not be an option. Another bit of excitement can be had if you hang something heavy off the end of a 7 foot pole from a single chain and start it swinging side to side - say by turning hard and then tapping the brakes. Try to attach at 2 or 3 points with the shortest lengths of chain or rope you can manage.

-Jim

/ Boom pole lift expectations #15  
You can adjust fine amouts going down (at least with my tractor) but going up is sometimes more of a chalenge but can be done. Lowering can be a lot smoother of an operation so make sure your lined up and put one side in first then lower till the other is inline

/ Boom pole lift expectations #16  
If the boom pole does not have winch...a hand held (ratchet) come-a-long can be hooked to the lifing end of the boom...

/ Boom pole lift expectations #17  
If the boom pole does not have winch...a hand held (ratchet) come-a-long can be hooked to the lifing end of the boom...

Now that makes a lot of sense, a winch or come along. or a chain hoist. to lift the motor with finesse, the boom pole just provides the "sky hook" and the transport to where you want. it.. I know it would be the only way I could lift a motor with a boom pole on my L3400, with notorious jerky 3 pt, a boom pole to actually lift the motor out of the engine bay would be a mess. Course why bother with the boom pole. just use the front end loader to begin with. That is what it is there for.:D

James K0UA

/ Boom pole lift expectations
Hey, thanks for the replies. Well, Im not sure I can get in close enough with the loader to lift the engine straight out. And I thought a boom pole is quite easy to make. I am not familar with 3pt hitchs as the old tractor we always used didnt have one. I'm more nervous of breaking the 3pt in some fashion. As for a long boom pole stuck way out behind a tractor, well, I wouldnt be lifting things too far, and if I did, it would be excrutiatingly slow to prevent swinging on those 3pt arms. I'm not quite sure where they rate the 2600lbs from, what pins are they talking about? Is it the lifting links? Is it the ball ends of the 3pt arms? If I keep the 3pt in a parrallelgram fashion, what change in height would I expect in the outer shackle of an 8 ft pole. Thanks for all the replies.

/ Boom pole lift expectations #19  
Hey, thanks for the replies. Well, Im not sure I can get in close enough with the loader to lift the engine straight out. And I thought a boom pole is quite easy to make. I am not familar with 3pt hitchs as the old tractor we always used didnt have one. I'm more nervous of breaking the 3pt in some fashion. As for a long boom pole stuck way out behind a tractor, well, I wouldnt be lifting things too far, and if I did, it would be excrutiatingly slow to prevent swinging on those 3pt arms. I'm not quite sure where they rate the 2600lbs from, what pins are they talking about? Is it the lifting links? Is it the ball ends of the 3pt arms? If I keep the 3pt in a parrallelgram fashion, what change in height would I expect in the outer shackle of an 8 ft pole. Thanks for all the replies.

1. If your 3PH is rated for 2600lbs @ the pins, that means the ball ends. Where you would attach it to the "pins" of the implement, or in this case, the boom pole.

2. If you keep it as close to parallel as possible, this will move the end of the boom pole the slowest and least distance. It will also give it the greatest lift force. So if your tractor has mutiple points to attach a toplink on the tractor, the highest setting will give you the slowest/least movement. As well as making the TL as long as you can and still have enough threaded together as to NOT come appart.

/ Boom pole lift expectations
I have to read up the specs again, thats quite a lot of weight at the ball ends. Quite impressive.