3-Point Hitch Boom pole lift expectations

/ Boom pole lift expectations #21  
I have to read up the specs again, thats quite a lot of weight at the ball ends. Quite impressive.

What size tractor do you have?? Make?Model?

2600lbs is about right for a larger framed 30-40HP tractor.

My L3400 I consider a smaller framed tractor (compaired to the GrandL's), and it is still rated for 2000lbs at the ball ends.

/ Boom pole lift expectations #22  
Hey Guys!!?? What's this "3pt" stuff all about?? Here's my boompole.... (Grin)... BobG in VA

Attachments

• It works...JPG
    It works...JPG
    483.8 KB · Views: 1,021
   / Boom pole lift expectations #23  
For the OP...

Watch this video from "(Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure)"
Near the end of the video the demonstrator remarks about how easy it is to remove/replace engines/transmissions with a boom pole....

How to attach and use a boompole

/ Boom pole lift expectations
The tractor is a 2816 hst mahindra. I thought about maybe a 6 or 8ft boom pole. Im not sure where the 2600 lbs is rated from, would that be at the ball ends? Thats quite a bit. The tractor is about 2500 lbs. Right now it has an FEL and a 900 or 1000 backhoe on it.

/ Boom pole lift expectations #25  
probably the ballends.. perhaps 24" from them.. i'd 'guess' ball ends unless it states otherwise.

soundguy

/ Boom pole lift expectations #26  
One thing, they won't handle, is a 1,000 pound box blade.
Sat., when I got the box blade home, I hooked the boom to it, to get it out of the P/U. While it was able to take the weight off the truck, to allow it to slip toward the tailgate, when it dropped off the tailgate, it headed straight for the ground. The front end of the Ford was off the ground by the same height as the tailgate. :D

/ Boom pole lift expectations #27  
One thing, they won't handle, is a 1,000 pound box blade.
Sat., when I got the box blade home, I hooked the boom to it, to get it out of the P/U. While it was able to take the weight off the truck, to allow it to slip toward the tailgate, when it dropped off the tailgate, it headed straight for the ground. The front end of the Ford was off the ground by the same height as the tailgate. :D

So it wasnt the boom that couldnt handle it, but the tractor itself right?

Wouldnt that depend on what tractor one is using?

And I would also think that a 1000lb box blade is a bit much if you plan on using it on the tractor that couldnt even lift it with the boom pole.

/ Boom pole lift expectations #28  
So it wasnt the boom that couldnt handle it, but the tractor itself right?

Wouldnt that depend on what tractor one is using?

And I would also think that a 1000lb box blade is a bit much if you plan on using it on the tractor that couldn't even lift it with the boom pole.

Yes, it wasn't the boom's fault. The problem was, that the boom was out fairly flat, due to the fact, that I had to reach over half of the length of the blade to get hooked in the center. So, the weight was hanging back more than it normally would, when mounted. Mounted on the tractor, it's fine.

/ Boom pole lift expectations #29  
thus.. NOT a boom pole mechanical fault. it was merely a long lever and thus allowed a significant mechanical advantage for that weight to make the fulcrum ( yer rear wheels ) pivot.

it was a function of physics and geometry. no fault involved, if any has to be assigned,.. it would have been the operatiors fault :)

soundguy

/ Boom pole lift expectations #30  
no fault involved, if any has to be assigned,.. it would have been the operatiors fault :) soundguy

Hmmm ... I guess, that would be so. I think, if it had weighed 450 pounds, as the seller suggested it might, I would have been OK. :laughing:

I seem to be having a few problems, regarding this box blade and the Boom pole, ... Today, I was in the barn, putting that same Boom pole on the tractor. I raised it up to attach the top link and heard a crash. Looked around to see what had happened. When I picked up the boom, it caught on the back blade, which flipped over backwards and knocked a window out. S..t happens! :mad: