Boom pole

/ Boom pole #1  

CJONE

Veteran Member
Tractor
KIOTI DK50 HST
I will be building a boom pole on a quick change attachment for my DK50. I have a 24' 2x3 tube that I will be using. Just curious what would be a good length to cut it to. I am thinking 15' but would like some personal experiences with these CUTs as to what they will handle. May also add a hydraulic extension depending on my mood! Thanks for the input. CJ

/ Boom pole #2  
I built one out of a 6x6 tube that is about 12'. Then made an insert sleve for a 4x4x3/8 tube inside with about a 7' cylinder to extend it. This was built for a 5 ton SS and it's worked great, I've set a bunch of trusses with it on smaller & lower bldgs. It's great for pole bldgs. as you don't need the reach because you can drive into it. With only a 2x3 tube and not being familiar with your tractor size or loader, I'd be conservative and cut it in half (no extension) and join them together at the hook end and use a cable for the top brace to make a triangle shaped pole that all 3 points coming together at the hook. The 2x3's joined togher should work well for the lower (compression load) legs with the cable, prolly 3/8 min. for the top (tensioned load) leg.

/ Boom pole
I built one out of a 6x6 tube that is about 12'. Then made an insert sleve for a 4x4x3/8 tube inside with about a 7' cylinder to extend it. This was built for a 5 ton SS and it's worked great, I've set a bunch of trusses with it on smaller & lower bldgs. It's great for pole bldgs. as you don't need the reach because you can drive into it. With only a 2x3 tube and not being familiar with your tractor size or loader, I'd be conservative and cut it in half (no extension) and join them together at the hook end and use a cable for the top brace to make a triangle shaped pole that all 3 points coming together at the hook. The 2x3's joined togher should work well for the lower (compression load) legs with the cable, prolly 3/8 min. for the top (tensioned load) leg.

I am going to use 1" square tube for bracing all the way to the tip off of each side and angle brace the center with the remaining 2x3 from each corner at the bottom. The main pole will be at the center bottom of the mount. If you can picture this. The cherry picker I built has 2x3x3/16 secondary tube and it will pick up 3000lbs with no bracing at 3' out so with the bracing I should be alright. As you said it will be under compression and be braced from the side for deflection. I am guessing the loader will lift 3500-4k on the ground at the pins. It is rated at 2700 to full height. CJ

/ Boom pole
boom pole 012.jpg
A few pics
This one showes it's plenty strong.

/ Boom pole #6  
Real nice!
I see your in N MI & I guess that you have to shovel a roof now & then, so just for giggles I'll show you an "attachment" that I made for my "pole":cool2:
Have fun painting, it's a love/hate thing for me:laughing:

Attachments

• DSC02068.JPG
    DSC02068.JPG
    578.7 KB · Views: 439
  • DSC02076.JPG
    DSC02076.JPG
    610.9 KB · Views: 329
   / Boom pole #8  
I am going to use 1" square tube for bracing all the way to the tip off of each side and angle brace the center with the remaining 2x3 from each corner at the bottom. The main pole will be at the center bottom of the mount. If you can picture this. The cherry picker I built has 2x3x3/16 secondary tube and it will pick up 3000lbs with no bracing at 3' out so with the bracing I should be alright. As you said it will be under compression and be braced from the side for deflection. I am guessing the loader will lift 3500-4k on the ground at the pins. It is rated at 2700 to full height. CJ
At 15' out from the loader pins your lift will be in the 500 to 1k# range. Is that enuf for your purposes?
larry

/ Boom pole
Real nice!
I see your in N MI & I guess that you have to shovel a roof now & then, so just for giggles I'll show you an "attachment" that I made for my "pole":cool2:
Have fun painting, it's a love/hate thing for me:laughing:

Thanks Rusty, I hear ya on the love hate thing. I used rattle cans to boot:( and I hate them!! still better than $150 for auto paint. I am going to try a concrete broom for the roof. CJ

/ Boom pole
At 15' out from the loader pins your lift will be in the 500 to 1k# range. Is that enuf for your purposes?
larry
Thanks Larry, I picked up a 800+lb power pole with it, so you are right on with the weight. It is more than enough. I can only curl about 600lbs so I am goint to have to be careful about overloading my curl cyls. Surprised me it had no problem with the pole, did not lighten the rear much either. Go figure. CJ