Boomer47 front tires locked up

/ Boomer47 front tires locked up #1  

Denniscr

Tractor
Married2009!
Hi. I have a new to me 2017 Boomer47 which I bought used two years ago. It has had few problems to-date until today.

I was moving dirt in 4wd in first gear today when I stepped in 4 locked for a little more traction in the loose dirt. Had no problems getting my load of dirt with the extra power, so I backed up with my foot taken off the 4 lock. I backed up fine for 15ft, but when I moved forward the front two tires only moved 8 inches before they both locked up. Put it in reverse, and again, the tires only moved 8 inched before locking up.

I had tried everything from moving the 4wd lever in and out of position, stepping on the 4 wheel lock---nothing. There's been no noise prior, no leaking fluids, no indication of any warnings.

Anyone have any explanations with prior situations happening to them?

/ Boomer47 front tires locked up #2  
Disengage front axle, use loader to lift front wheels off the ground. Try to rotate each front wheel by hand. If something is binding in front axle you will be able to tell without further damage.

/ Boomer47 front tires locked up #3  
Broken ring and pinion gear. $$$$ parts on a NH

/ Boomer47 front tires locked up
Would anyone know where I can get a maintenance manual for this machine? I'm not afraid of digging into one with tools.

/ Boomer47 front tires locked up #5  
Hi. I have a new to me 2017 Boomer47 which I bought used two years ago. It has had few problems to-date until today.

I was moving dirt in 4wd in first gear today when I stepped in 4 locked for a little more traction in the loose dirt. Had no problems getting my load of dirt with the extra power, so I backed up with my foot taken off the 4 lock. I backed up fine for 15ft, but when I moved forward the front two tires only moved 8 inches before they both locked up. Put it in reverse, and again, the tires only moved 8 inched before locking up.

I had tried everything from moving the 4wd lever in and out of position, stepping on the 4 wheel lock---nothing. There's been no noise prior, no leaking fluids, no indication of any warnings.

Anyone have any explanations with prior situations happening to them?
You'll learn about using 4x4 on hard surfaces with weight. Bought lessons are the best learned.

/ Boomer47 front tires locked up #6  
One question and that is, did you ever bother checking the front axle fluid level or change it. Sounds to me like a ring and pinion failure as well.

Yes, I had just replaced, one month prior, all of the axle fluids on all 4 axles.

Disengage front axle, use loader to lift front wheels off the ground. Try to rotate each front wheel by hand. If something is binding in front axle you will be able to tell without further damage.
Thank you for the suggestion. Fortunately, Idid that early on and found them to be bound then also.

/ Boomer47 front tires locked up #9  
If the ring and pinion are locked, you should be able to spin one tire and watch the other one turn in the opposite direction with the front axle off of the ground. Does that work or is each wheel locked?

/ Boomer47 front tires locked up #10  
Unless you are particularly mechanically adept. I'd be taking it to a dealer. It's wallet lightening time.